Can a duckling die from loneliness?

Smiller1090

Chirping
Sep 27, 2020
Fountain County Indiana
My first round incubating has proved to be rough and that I need a better incubator! The first duckling hatch was a doozy and I had to help the poor thing because he was shrink wrapped in the amber colored goop. He is doing ok now but the two eggs still in the incubator aren’t looking promising. If they don’t hatch can my little tough guy die from loneliness?

If you end up with just the one duckling you can help till you can find another duckling for your only duck, Putting a mirror in with this one so it can see itself always helps ,make sure it is somehow attached so it doesn't fall over on your duckling. and a stuffed animal for cuddling. And of course the little one is imprinted on you so spending time with it always helps too.
Hopefully you can still find a buddy for your only duckling. or hopefully your last 2 eggs will surprise you an hatch :fl

Our oldest was a single hatch. She would squeak up a storm if she couldn't see us, so I zip tied a new feather duster and a hand held mirror to the side of her brooder and put half of a thick fleece sock under the duster. She immediately snuggled up to the mirror and then slept on the sock under the duster and we never heard a peep again when we were out of sight. I think even without the duster and fleece, just having a mirror is a big game changer. Its heartwrenching bc that was her only duck friend for her first month, but she was content

Back
Top Bottom