Can a grown chicken still recover from wry neck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickooster, Mar 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Chickooster

Chickooster Chirping

Mar 7, 2017
    Hello. I was wondering if my 1 year old silkie still has a chance for recovering from wry neck. When she was a chick, I had given her the special vitamins and medicine for it. It didn't work and I gave up after a month.

Thank You

drumstick diva likes this.
  2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Wry neck can crop up at any time. It signifies a condition that can affect motor function and can have genetic causes as well as pathological. It's all treated by administering vitamin E 400iu and selenium and B vitamins. The chicken usually responds well to this therapy and recovers from the symptoms, but it won't change the underlying cause and symptoms can recur.

drumstick diva likes this.
  3. Chickooster

Chickooster Chirping

Mar 7, 2017
    Thank you

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Wry neck or torticolis is just a neurological symptom, not a disease. It can be a result of heredity, head or neck injury, vitamin E or thiamine deficiency (especially in young chicks or when there is old feed,) and it is a symptom in certain diseases, such as Mareks disease, lymphoid leukosis, and many respiratory diseases. Since it has persisted so long, I would suspect the chick may have a hereditary tendency to wry neck. If you should lose the chicken, it is a good idea to get a necropsy to look for a cause of death. I would still try the vitamins, including E, B 1 (thiamine) and give some chopped egg, tuna, or sunflower kernels for selenium to help utilation of vitamin E.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    A few years ago on BYC seemed like everyone was having wry neck in a bird or two. In some cases the vet thought it was from swelling on the brain & treated with prednisone per his instructions.

Do you think this bird might have that?

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies are prone to get it - ones with vaulted skulls are more likely to have opening where the skull didn't completely close over. A peck or bump can cause problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: