can a pig live with chickens?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mommy9994, Jul 28, 2008.

1. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    I'm wondering if we got a pig, would it be ok to put it with the chickens? would they get along, or would the pig hurt them? We don't have a ton of property, and it's important to us that all of our animals have all the pasture they can. We are considering fencing all the available land for pasture and letting everything run together. Not ideal I know, but it's what we have. I just don't want the pig to hurt anyone. How about goats and chickens/pig?

2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I think the answer is no. Check out jennyhaschicks recent post on her free range chickens accidentally getting in with her pigs....the pigs attacked. hopefully someone with more experience can help out more though.

3. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    No the pigs will eat their room mates within the first few minutes. You could put the goats with the chickens i think but keep the pig very well separated so their heads can't even poke thru fencing.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  4. pattypenny

pattypenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2007
    pig can , chicken might get ate.

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Absolutely not! Pigs will eat chickens.

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Nope. Just do a search function with your keyword being "Pigs" "Eating" "chickens" and you will find the answer out for yourself.

There was recently a thread in the Predators and Pests section on it.

-Kim

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Nope, pigs eat chickens [​IMG]

8. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I would let my hogs run with the mules. There was about an acre of land. They got along great. But they would chase after the goats and birds. Beware pigs will eat or mouth anything.

9. LandA Miniatures

LandA Miniatures New Egg

Jun 26, 2008
    Well, I haven't had any trouble with my pig with the chickens and goats. Katie Pigpig will, however, eat all the eggs [​IMG] if let into the coop. She is only four months old though and has been around them since she was three weeks old. One of the goats likes her because when the goat lays down Katie will come and root on her back and the goat gets a massage. [​IMG]

10. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I bet lots of animals could get along if they are raised together. Sound like you have a great piggy. My pigs would get on the mules as soon as they would lay down to roll. They would do the belly roll. Just like the goats and mules. I have never been able to get a pic.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by