Can anyone tell me the breed of this chick?

JessicaThistle

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Oregon

A neighbor found 7 little chicks last night abandoned on the side of the road. She sent me this pic and I am going to go take a look this evening and most likely adopt them. I can't imagine letting these little guys die and she can't keep them. Can anyone tell what the breed may be from this pic?

It has a pea comb and rather looks like some Easter Eggers I had at one time that started out as "chocolate chicks".
Yay! I hope you are right. I love EEs! I planned to add some more EEs to my flock in the spring. So, if no one steps up and lets me know they belong to them I suppose I won't have to wait until spring!

I'll try to get some better pics tonight after I investigate the situation.

If your neighbor found it on the road, it is probably a mix. We'll be able to tell better when it gets older and feathers in. I'd post more photos in a couple of weeks; by then, we may be able to give you a more definitive answer to the breed.

If your neighbor found it on the road, it is probably a mix. We'll be able to tell better when it gets older and feathers in. I'd post more photos in a couple of weeks; by then, we may be able to give you a more definitive answer to the breed.
Agreed.

Cute chick, by the way!

Well, I just picked the little guys up. They can't be more than one or two days old.

Two are definitely Easter Eggers. They look like adorable little chipmunks.
I suspect the other five are Barred Rock mixes or something black. One even has feathered feet.

I will definitely have to wait to see what happens here. I'll post a few pics tomorrow after I give them a chance to settle in, not so much for everyone to tell me what I have but just to show off these little cuties!

Here are some pics of the rescued babies. If anyone wants to put in their two cents on what they are, please feel free. Otherwise just enjoy the cuteness!

These two are EE, right?

These two are Barred Rock I think. They have barring on their wings starting and they look exactly like what mine looked like.

This one is obviously a mix. It has feathered legs.

These two I don't have a clue. The one on the right has some brown on it's head.

So I have been looking closely at these little guys. Someone mentioned the possibility of them being Black Copper Marans because of the feathering on the legs, but the closer I look, I think they also all have pea combs! I was super excited about dark chocolate eggs but is it possible I have myself some olive eggers along with the two I know are Easter Eggers??

Last edited:
The chicks are two weeks old now. I made an attempt to take some updated pics. I may have gotten them too close up. They all have pea combs it appears.

Two are like this, one has feathered legs and the other doesn't.

Then this one:

There are two like this with the barring. One has feathered legs and the other doesn't.

Then this is one that i think is an EE, maybe?

The final one looks like a classic chipmunk EE. I didn't take an updated pic of that one. Can anyone see these pics well enough to give me any ideas? Black Copper Maran mix someone suggested, but with all peacombs would that make them olive eggers??

Back
Top Bottom