Can chickens eat garlic

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by meowteri2, May 25, 2010.

1. meowteri2

meowteri2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    Garlic is suppose to be good for other animals to keep fleas away. Does anyone know if it is ok for chickens

2. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] YES! some people put it in their water, I have not tried that yet.It is also included in a natural de-wormer. the recipe is some place on here.

3. Willjg

Willjg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Tuckerton
    Hey there,

Garlic is GREAT for people and animals. I give it to my chickens all the time. It fortifies their immune system and is a natural dewormer. So I think its a lot safer than any of those medications, and if its all natural all the better.
    I haven't tried fresh garlic, but I do use garlic oil.....putting some in their food, mixing it up----they LOVE it. Its also good for pigeons.

Take Care,
    Bill.

4. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    I have to correct you.. its good for some critters but not all, it can kill a dog just like chocolate can

1 person likes this.
  5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, garlic is ok, and has medicinal and anti-parasitic properties, but if you give to an egg layer, beware those eggs may taste a little funny!

6. nobodyherebutuschickens

nobodyherebutuschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Erie, Colorado
    Quote:My dog ate an entire chocolate pie once. And most of my halloween candy. [​IMG] And a tube of Neosporin ([​IMG]) but other than some painful looking poo, he was fine. [​IMG]

7. phasian

phasian Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:As a former vet tech, this is news to me. My dogs and flock both get garlic and lots of healthful advantages from it. Please read Juliette de Baraicli-Levy's books, a renowned vet and amazing healer. Onions are another story....

Chocolate is not truly toxic, it's just that dogs will glut on amounts that can kill them or would make us extremely ill.

8. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I'm gonna feed my chickens garlic so I don't have to add it when I fry them..... and salt!!! lol [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Just as a warning, too much will make your eggs taste odd.

1 person likes this.
  10. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Some vets say garlic is bad for horses and dogs, it damages their kidneys. I feed it to both, plus my chickens and have never had a problem. If you feed it in moderation I think it's fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by