Can Chickens Eat Raw Peas?

slukeplass22

Songster
9 Years
Nov 20, 2014
Northern Piedmont, USA
I'm researching making my own chicken feed, and I see a lot of people using split peas in their feed as a protein source. But other people say that peas shouldn't be given to chickens raw, presumably because of the lectins. But other people seem to actively do so without issues. What do you all think about feeding chickens raw peas? Does dried vs. not dry matter?

My personal inclination is to treat the chickens as you would treat yourself. Peas are superior cooked or sprouted, however, for humans, they can be eaten raw without ill effect unless they become a diet staple. The levels of antinutrients (like lectins) really only hurt if you have a lot of them. It's like oxalic acid in that sense - you'd have to eat a lot of it to suffer harmful effects. Of course, the amount of lectins per oz. will be higher in dried peas than non-dried peas.

For the purposes of this thread I am only referring to peas belonging to Pisum sativum, not vetches (Vicia), cowpeas (Vigna), or other legumes. P. sativum includes...
  • Garden Peas
  • Snap Peas
  • Any field pea belonging to P. sativum, like Austrian Winter Peas

pretty sure your not supposed to give fowl dryed beans or anything like that ...if your growing a garden they'll eat just about anything out of that now fresh, especially greens and stuff .. im thinking about starting a row of mustards or collards here just for that ..

pretty sure your not supposed to give fowl dryed beans or anything like that ...if your growing a garden they'll eat just about anything out of that now fresh, especially greens and stuff .. im thinking about starting a row of mustards or collards here just for that ..

I definitely wouldn't give dried beans raw, and the same goes for cowpeas and lentils, because of the lectins in those specific legumes. Even then, different legumes have different effects - lentils aren't as dangerous as kidney beans (1 kidney bean would probably kill a bird), for example.

And that's why I asked about peas specifically - the lectins in peas are a non-issue for humans unless they become a diet staple, see here. And, in addition, some people give split peas as a core part of their chicken feed, seemingly with no effects. But then others advise against it. This is why I'm asking for others' thoughts.

Since you brought up the garden though, we're thinking about growing lettuce and white clover in trays over winter to give them (and us, in the case of the lettuce) extra greens.

I have heard both ways too from multiple sites. With my pet chicks/pullets, I am really careful, and would probably not give these to them. However, we give our other 30 chickens that aren't pets (just for eggs, don't worry!) table scraps all the time and have given them garden peas before. However, I agree, do not feed them kidney beans! Everything should be fed in moderation of course.

1602185987672.png

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...gRQPSol8up05dbcEysjm1NCzvRzM_Jr4aAqEAEALw_wcB

This is sold for chickens and has split peas and lentils in it. Shouldn't that mean they are safe to feed to them? In treat amounts, at least.

Back
Top Bottom