Can dreams ever come true?

Pallets are often given away free. Find a store or storage facility that does. I tried my local feed store but they charge $2 each. Build using them as your floor and wall and roof frame. You will need wood to cover the frames to make the floor and walls and roof. You could disassemble some pallets to use for covering gaps. You could also look for construction projects in your area and ask if you can have the scraps rather than them throwing them away. I found out that my local Lowe's will let me have off-cuts of wood. I started collecting them every time I passed by there. On the other hand Home Depot won't let me take them because they return them to their distributor for credit. Check with the ones in your area, they might be different. I bought a chunk of scrap linoleum for about $10 i used to cover the floor. Had to keep going back to see if there was one big enough or two that would work. It paid off, I got a single perfect chunk. I saw a building being demolished and asked permission to take bricks and cinder blocks. These went under the coop to hold it off the dirt. Screws and 1/2 inch hardware cloth were my biggest expense. Depending on the off cuts of wood you get you might want to buy some inexpensive plywood to cover unless you are able to use the disassembled pallets. Lowes and home depot sell Oops paint. I got a $35 can for $9. Make sure you get exterior paint for the outside, interior for inside. Feeders and waterers can be homemade often using just large soda bottles. Lots of examples here and on YouTube. Look on youtube for pallet coops too. Here's a favorite of mine.
If you plan on getting little chicks you will also need a brooder set up. I don't brood mine so I'm no help except to say there is a fantastic set up here somewhere that uses a heating pad, must be a brand new one. Its an easy build. I'm sure someone can direct you to it. Chicks need the waterer to be safe from drowning so check that out here too.
Good luck!

Hon, I understand your situation.

I want to throw a word of caution out there.

Please do NOT give your address out.
I want you to be safe, always.

No home address, no phone numbers, no full names please.

For those able to help our OP out there is a gofundme link in her profile information tab. Please help through that link.

Last edited:
I learned it’s important to not share real names, addresses, or phone numbers in my school. So I got that down, because we learned that it could be dangerous to do that, but thank you I appreciate all the help I could get:)

I am glad you know that.
I just needed to be sure you knew that. :hugs

Don't need some creepy lurker finding you.

You should probably make sure to build up a buffer first. A few months' cost of feed, and enough to buy antibiotics or other treatment supplies if something happens to one of your birds.

You should definitely get the coop and run set up first, before you get any birds. You'll also need a brooder.

You might be able to save a little bit of money by making the coop and run deep litter. Deep litter is basically a shallow compost heap. It's made with leaves, lawn cuttings, and so forth, not things that cost money. Plus, you get compost! I'd look into it.

Another thing to consider is, are you planning to go to college? If so, what will happen to the chickens then?

Back
Top Bottom