Can five week olds sleep outside?

I'd like to think their coop is like a mini Fort Knox. LOL! The bottom and windows are reinforced with hardware cloth and we have two types of latches locking the side door. I've even closed (and latched) the gate to their attached run, so any predators who want to get through the front will have to go through a metal gate AND a solid wooden door. :cool:

Attachments

• 20180714_195932.jpg
    20180714_195932.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180714_201139.jpg
    20180714_201139.jpg
    593.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180714_193931.jpg
    20180714_193931.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180714_194147.jpg
    20180714_194147.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 8
I’m super impressed you didn’t kick them out already based on the smell.

Not going to lie, the smell was AWFUL! We joked about our master bathroom smelling like a barn. LOL! And that's even with me cleaning their brooder two to three times a day, as well as putting a fan in the window during the day to circulate in some fresh air.

Not going to lie, the smell was AWFUL! We joked about our master bathroom smelling like a barn. LOL! And that's even with me cleaning their brooder two to three times a day, as well as putting a fan in the window during the day to circulate in some fresh air.

I once let 8 ducklings sleep overnight in one of my bathrooms and my whole family voted never again.

Hi all, according to the hatch date the feed store gave us, our ducklings should be turning five weeks old this coming Monday. Up until now, they've been spending the night in their brooder box in our master bathroom, and the coolest overnight temp they've been subjected to thus far is about 70° F (we recently turned off their heat lamp to get them used to cooler nights).

My husband is dead set on having them start spending the night outside, but I'm a little hesitant to do so right away. The outside night temps are ranging between 60° F and 66° F. Sure, they'll be in their duck house with ample straw to snuggle in, but they're also only five weeks old. The paperwork the feed store gave us says, "your ducklings can stay outside in good weather once they are six to nine weeks old."

In your opinion, are they old enough to sleep outside, or should we wait another week or two?

Thanks for any feedback or advice!
This time a year it should be no problem at all. But do be sure to offer them a shaded area and constant access to water. a small filtered pond would be great

Well, last night we took the plunge and had them sleep outside in their duck house. As expected, I was up until about 1 am worrying about them. :rolleyes: Of course, they were as happy as could be when I let them out this morning. :celebrate. I even gave them a special treat of fresh blueberries and beet greens as they roamed the backyard/played in their pool. :wee

Back
Top Bottom