Can I bring a chicken inside to warm it up?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hpbabs, Jan 9, 2017.

1. hpbabs

hpbabs Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    We already have a good layer of snow here, and it's currently just above 20 degrees. The coops are well built and not too drafty, so there's no serious threat right now, but I'd still like to bring a chicken in to give it a break now and then. I have a hen inside right now, in a box by the heater, but I'm concerned about bringing her back into the cold when it's time. Nobody is sick or frostbitten, but could the transition from freezing to warm for a while then back to freezing do more harm than good?
    Any tips on low-cost ways to help my chickens through the winter are very welcome

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Quote: Yes, I would say you are doing them no favours by bringing them into the warmth and then putting them back outside. You would be better stopping the draughts in their coop and leaving them in there. Obviously good ventilation is important but draughts are not, so you want a flow of air above them but not blowing onto them. Their feathers will do the rest.
    If they were sick then that would be another matter as they are unable to maintain their body temperature when they are ill but bringing healthy chickens in to warm them up just to put them out again is not a good idea in my opinion.

Regards

Barbara

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    They're completely fine at 20 degrees. If frostbite is a concern you can dab a little vaseline on the combs or legs if needed. The temperature change of taking them in and out would be harder for them to adjust to, I think, than simply staying outside.

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Welcome to BYC... Enjoy it here.

I think bringing it in just to get it "warm" is not a good thing, as it is just fine in its down jacket.

I know the intentions are well intended, but it is better it stay adjusted to the outside temperature. I live in Minnesota we have just went through a sub zero stretch -30, and my birds did fine. My coops are pretty primitive but I would rather just have a wind break than end up with moisture.

The biggest problem I have this time of the year is frozen cracked eggs.

5. hpbabs

hpbabs Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Noted! Thanks for the quick feedback!

6. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    I had one of my hens get soaked because she stood under the snow melting off the roof of the house. I brought her inside and used a hair dryer to get all the water out then she went back outside but unless you are dealing with wet conditions 20 degrees is not to cold for chickens. Best Wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by