Can I give my 1 month 10 day old chicks a cupcake?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HeidiEmbrey, Nov 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. HeidiEmbrey

HeidiEmbrey Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Florida
    I want to give my chicks a treat, resisting calling them my babies lol I can't give them scrambled eggs because they are still on, almost through, their bag of medicated chick feed, I got that because I got them from the feed store and with so many other chicks I thought they might need, but because of the medicated feed I can't give them scrambled eggs because of the excess sulfer. i gave them some fruit and mushrooms cut up in tiny pieces, they seemed to like it and be ok.. I've been giving them vegetable leaves from my garden, grass with the roots and bugs, and seeds and grains to peck and herbs..all of this of course with chick grit. But I want to give them a cupcake. Can I give them this vanilla cupcake with no frosting? What if it was chocolate? Or spice? :p When they are grown up will it hurt them if I give them the frosting? It's buttercream frosting homemade not from the store with preservatives.. I don't want them to get that binding thing! Can they have sugar? And do you think one cupcake for 5 chicks is too much? They're getting pretty big. Thanks :)

Farmgal101 likes this.
  2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I would not give them cupcakes or frosting, or anything high in sugar...stick to nutritious treats.

And No chocolate.

A small amount of scrambled eggs won't hurt.

3. Squeak61

Squeak61 Songster

May 22, 2017
    Connecticut
    Hello! It’s very sweet that you love your chickens, I do too. Cake won’t do your chickens any harm, as long as you don’t give them a lot or too often. It definitely isn’t a healthy treat, so it shouldn’t become a frequent occurrence. But giving them too much sugar is never a good idea. Store bought frosting contains buttloads of chemicals that even people shouldn’t ingest, let alone chickens. If you want a good frosting option, try plain yogurt (no flavoring). Chicks generally should stick to medicated feed only until they’re old enough to go outside anyways. Of course, that might vary from person to person. Good luck with your birds :D

HeidiEmbrey and sunflour like this.
  4. HeidiEmbrey

HeidiEmbrey Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Florida
    Maybe to compromise I will only give them half the cupcake :)

5. HeidiEmbrey

HeidiEmbrey Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Florida
    They're SO cute, and they are getting so pretty! Thanks..I think I'll give them half the cupcake with extra water and grit ..I'll let you know if they like it or seem to not feel well after.. I do have one silkie that eats Constantly I'm a little worried about it because it is getting Really fat, and I know that can cause problems for chickens..from the day I got it it has been eating constantly, it runs over first every time I put something in there. She's a foodie..
    Do you happen to know is it possible for them to get too much grit or a piece that is too big ?

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Be sure to light the candle and sing.

7. Squeak61

Squeak61 Songster

May 22, 2017
    Connecticut
    Good, let us know what they think! Chickens can get obese, you can help by cutting off her treats, and limiting the amount of food she eats. Some chicks are like puppies, they eat and eat and eat until they’re sick. I don’t believe that they can get too much grit, and generally if it can fit in their beak they can swallow it. You shouldn’t have any issues. My two month old chickens live outside with my adults, they’re exposed to adult sized grit all the time and they’re completely fine.

HeidiEmbrey likes this.
  8. HeidiEmbrey

HeidiEmbrey Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Florida
    I'll only give them cupcakes or muffins on birthdays and holidays..once a month maybe :) No frosting..

sourland likes this.
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    But frosting is the best part.

10. Squeak61

Squeak61 Songster

May 22, 2017
    Connecticut
    Maybe save it just for birthdays. That would be cute and not too frequent :)

HeidiEmbrey likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by