Can I give my 1 month 10 day old chicks a cupcake?

HeidiEmbrey

Songster
Oct 10, 2017
Florida
I want to give my chicks a treat, resisting calling them my babies lol I can't give them scrambled eggs because they are still on, almost through, their bag of medicated chick feed, I got that because I got them from the feed store and with so many other chicks I thought they might need, but because of the medicated feed I can't give them scrambled eggs because of the excess sulfer. i gave them some fruit and mushrooms cut up in tiny pieces, they seemed to like it and be ok.. I've been giving them vegetable leaves from my garden, grass with the roots and bugs, and seeds and grains to peck and herbs..all of this of course with chick grit. But I want to give them a cupcake. Can I give them this vanilla cupcake with no frosting? What if it was chocolate? Or spice? :p When they are grown up will it hurt them if I give them the frosting? It's buttercream frosting homemade not from the store with preservatives.. I don't want them to get that binding thing! Can they have sugar? And do you think one cupcake for 5 chicks is too much? They're getting pretty big. Thanks :)

Hello! It’s very sweet that you love your chickens, I do too. Cake won’t do your chickens any harm, as long as you don’t give them a lot or too often. It definitely isn’t a healthy treat, so it shouldn’t become a frequent occurrence. But giving them too much sugar is never a good idea. Store bought frosting contains buttloads of chemicals that even people shouldn’t ingest, let alone chickens. If you want a good frosting option, try plain yogurt (no flavoring). Chicks generally should stick to medicated feed only until they’re old enough to go outside anyways. Of course, that might vary from person to person. Good luck with your birds :D

Hello! It’s very sweet that you love your chickens, I do too. Cake won’t do your chickens any harm, as long as you don’t give them a lot or too often. It definitely isn’t a healthy treat, so it shouldn’t become a frequent occurrence. But giving them too much sugar is never a good idea. Store bought frosting contains buttloads of chemicals that even people shouldn’t ingest, let alone chickens. If you want a good frosting option, try plain yogurt (no flavoring). Chicks generally should stick to medicated feed only until they’re old enough to go outside anyways. Of course, that might vary from person to person. Good luck with your birds :D

They're SO cute, and they are getting so pretty! Thanks..I think I'll give them half the cupcake with extra water and grit ..I'll let you know if they like it or seem to not feel well after.. I do have one silkie that eats Constantly I'm a little worried about it because it is getting Really fat, and I know that can cause problems for chickens..from the day I got it it has been eating constantly, it runs over first every time I put something in there. She's a foodie..
Do you happen to know is it possible for them to get too much grit or a piece that is too big ?

They're SO cute, and they are getting so pretty! Thanks..I think I'll give them half the cupcake with extra water and grit ..I'll let you know if they like it or seem to not feel well after.. I do have one silkie that eats Constantly I'm a little worried about it because it is getting Really fat, and I know that can cause problems for chickens..from the day I got it it has been eating constantly, it runs over first every time I put something in there. She's a foodie..
Do you happen to know is it possible for them to get too much grit or a piece that is too big ?
Good, let us know what they think! Chickens can get obese, you can help by cutting off her treats, and limiting the amount of food she eats. Some chicks are like puppies, they eat and eat and eat until they’re sick. I don’t believe that they can get too much grit, and generally if it can fit in their beak they can swallow it. You shouldn’t have any issues. My two month old chickens live outside with my adults, they’re exposed to adult sized grit all the time and they’re completely fine.

Back
Top Bottom