Can I let my pigeon fly?

Oki&Nawa

Chirping
Sep 9, 2017
Philippines
Greetings!
My pigeon has laid her egg and I’m very proud. She laid another one 2 days after and I’m as excited as a chicken waiting to eat the last piece of oatmeal. My gray pigeon is collecting sticks in the loft I keep them in. I throw sticks in there and they pick it up and bring it to the bowl like container I put in there. I am wondering, can I let them out of the loft to collect their own sticks? The female has 2 eggs now and they are paired. Every time I think about opening the loft my adrenaline kicks in because I am very afraid of them not coming back. Any advice?

(P.S I didn’t know what catagory to put this article in. Correct me if it is wrong!)

I am wondering, can I let them out of the loft to collect their own sticks?
For quality adult homers there instinct to home over rides their instinct to breed. I always let them raise three clutches of eggs before releasing them.

Other breeds or younger pigeons can be done in about 30+ days some fanciers do it in less but "NOT ME".

Last edited:
not feeling the right urge to let them fly
That is only one problem that can arise when letting them fly or even at large.

I always think twice before flying or releasing any breeders.

If you loose that bird will your blood line and loft be in jeopardy is a question you should explore.

Loss is a part of being a pigeon fancier.

I tested my pigeon, I put a small peice of tape on one of his wings and let him out. The tape lets him fly but not as high. The female remained on the nest and the male waddled back and fourth gathering sticks. I’m just just not feeling the right urge to let them fly and have them possibly abandon their eggs.

Will he come back?
If you got him as a squeaker YES. If the bird was six month old when you got him and if it comes from a good blood line you can kiss him good bye.
You best hope is riding on the band I would guess.
Someone may contact you when it get to a weaken state.
I hope he comes back for your sake and the sake of the eggs.

My experience with older birds is three rounds of squabs before release.

Last edited:
I'm sure you have heard it said: 'Never fly a bird you can't bear losing.'
As excited as you are about the arrival of babies, I think you would be wise not to risk it. Just keep doing what you are doing and post pics if you can!
:D
Thank you very much :) I will try and post pics soon if I get the chance!

Back
Top Bottom