Can I mix baby chicks when some are bigger that others

TerriL188

Songster
Apr 6, 2018
Holden, Missouri
I bought 8 baby chicks 4 of them must have been older, they were Road Island Reds and 4 were called Rainbow Layers. They were in different pens, I didnt notice the difference in size at the time.
The Rainbow Layers were 2 yellow and 2 Black. The yellow ones seem to be growing more than the black ones. The 2 Black eat OK, they do wait until the feeder is not busy to do eat. I was thinking I should put them in something by themselves. I would rather not have to but I if it would be best I will do it. The others do not pic on them or anything but the black ones are not growing.
I hope you can kind of see the difference in size in this picture. Thanks for your help. Terri 000_0012.JPG

I bought 8 baby chicks 4 of them must have been older, they were Road Island Reds and 4 were called Rainbow Layers. They were in different pens, I didnt notice the difference in size at the time.
The Rainbow Layers were 2 yellow and 2 Black. The yellow ones seem to be growing more than the black ones. The 2 Black eat OK, they do wait until the feeder is not busy to do eat. I was thinking I should put them in something by themselves. I would rather not have to but I if it would be best I will do it. The others do not pic on them or anything but the black ones are not growing.
I hope you can kind of see the difference in size in this picture. Thanks for your help. TerriView attachment 1332744

I don’t think it’s necessary to separate them but if you are concerned add another feeder on the opposite sides of the brooder. I got 3 different ages and sizes of chicks 1 wk to 3 wks old and a lone bantam I traded w/ one of my ice cream bar in my brooder right now and they will be growing together when I transfer them outside.
Noticed your brooder, it’s ok to add shavings, clean coop or any other flooring materials you prefer, it’s better for their footing and poop management, so they won’t be rolling and stepping on them. Good luck with your young ones.:thumbsup

Welcome1 If they have enough space, and adding another feeder is a good idea, they should be fine. Add shavings to give them better footing, and scattering some feed in it gives them something to do.
If you separate them, they will then need to be reintroduced to each other. That's not better.
Mary

I wouldn't. Chicks should be kept with the same size chicks. Age isn't really that important. Big chicks will pick on little chicks.

I don’t think it’s necessary to separate them but if you are concerned add another feeder on the opposite sides of the brooder. I got 3 different ages and sizes of chicks 1 wk to 3 wks old and a lone bantam I traded w/ one of my ice cream bar in my brooder right now and they will be growing together when I transfer them outside.
Noticed your brooder, it’s ok to add shavings, clean coop or any other flooring materials you prefer, it’s better for their footing and poop management, so they won’t be rolling and stepping on them. Good luck with your young ones.:thumbsup
Spartan22, Thank you so much for your help one question you mentioned adding shavings do you think the wee wee pads are not enough. I was trying them because I thought they might be easier to keep clean do they have footing problems with them?

Welcome1 If they have enough space, and adding another feeder is a good idea, they should be fine. Add shavings to give them better footing, and scattering some feed in it gives them something to do.
If you separate them, they will then need to be reintroduced to each other. That's not better.
Mary
That sounds good to me I have to get them something to put their feed in right now they are kicking it out of my coffee can top so I will get 2. I like the idea of scattering some feed in there for them to keep active. Thank you so much. Terri

Spartan22, Thank you so much for your help one question you mentioned adding shavings do you think the wee wee pads are not enough. I was trying them because I thought they might be easier to keep clean do they have footing problems with them?

Your welcome, Depends (no pun intended) if they are slippery should be a no no, shavings in my opinion were much easier for their feet and has aeration quality that the poop dries faster, besides I don’t have to clean as often, i normally topped them every couple of days, no mas no pus. Chicks much healthier with no smell and no poop sticking under foot pads.

Back
Top Bottom