Can I Please Have Your Opinions On These Silkies For Breeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PamB, Feb 1, 2011.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Hi all! I've recently decided to start breeding some of my silkies. I am purchasing (hopefully from Bobbi Porto) some silkies to get started. I'm thinking if I breed splash I may put these two in the breeding pen....thoughts on these?

Alice:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daisy:
    She actually already had some babies with my current splash roo. I posted pics of them too. The babies all have 5 toes and nice foot feathering [​IMG] The pics of the babies were taken at about a week old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daisy's Chicks (One Week Old):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Is it a Splash?

3. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Which one? The second is lighter than the first...and my camera is crappy...sorry about that. I'm planning on spending my money on silkies instead of a new camera. [​IMG]

She did make some pretty babies with my splash cockeral...however, maybe she is too light to breed? That is the information I'm looking for from you experts. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    Alice is Gray. they have a few small issues daisy could use a lot more cushion for example. but I don't see anything that screams don't breed. Daisy has a nice beard

5. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    The first one looks like a Grey (light color pattern)...I've never seen a Splash with an all black head...the second one is a Splash....both have nice type...

6. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:Oh, ok. So, what colors could I breed her with??

7. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    I would breed your Grey to another Grey....but a darker grey male. I would breed the Splash to a Splash, Black, or Blue....

8. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    I would breed the splash to a blue or a black, in hopes of darkening the splash in her offspring....could just be the pic quality, but she looks a bit diluted

9. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Thank you! I'm excited to have a couple of my "pets" that I can put into my breeding flock since I don't have TONS of money to spend immediately, I'll probably only end up with two to three breeder or show quality silkies to start out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by