can i start feeding my chickens this?

Brokenandreal

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 19, 2013
Florida
My two Rhode Island reds are a month and a half old and i ran out of their Manna Pro medicated started feed and told my dad to go to tractor supply to buy them more. Instead of buying them more medicated feed like I asked (considering their 8 months of needing chick feed isn't up yet) he bought them Manna Pro Gamebird/Showbird feed. They are being raised as show birds but im not sure if they should start eating that feed yet. Is it ok for them to eat that yet? Or should I ask my dad to exchange it for medicated feed? The picture below is how big each of them are.

I am not familiar with that type of food, but check the protein level in it. I believe my Chick Starter/Grower that I am using is 18%. I think you want at last that since they still have alot of growing to do.

8 months of chick feed? I have never heard of more than 18 weeks. As for medicated, 8 weeks is the suggested time. I would give then the show bird feed since it has enough protein.

8 months of chick feed? I have never heard of more than 18 weeks. As for medicated, 8 weeks is the suggested time. I would give then the show bird feed since it has enough protein.

I meant 8 weeks sorry. I dont know why I put months. And thanks ill start feeding it to them now

Chicks no longer need medicated feed after around 6 weeks of age, but it is better to gradually wean them off it over few weeks to allow them time to finish developing immunity to the coccidia that the medicated feed prevents. The feed is fine for them, although more expensive than regular chick grower, and higher in protein than they really need at this age.

Back
Top Bottom