Can I use this?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PoultryGirly, Feb 18, 2013.

1. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Hi. I am wondering if I can use this: http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store2/wormers/safeguard-crumbles.html
    for worming my poultry. I think you put it in their food? For the past few days, some of my chickens have been sneezing a little and one had a respiratory problem. I gave her Vet Rx and it seemed to clear up mostly. I am wondering if they have gape worm? A few weeks ago I saw one of my ducks opening her mouth wide at meal time, but the next morning she seemed fine after that. Tonight, my rooster was opening his mouth at meal time, but it might have been because they had food in their throat. If I give them this wormer, will it hurt them if they don't have worms? Thanks!

2. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Anyone?

3. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    ?

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    You could use it but it much easier to use Safe-Guard for goats. http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/details/Safe-Guard-Goat-Suspension/207-318.html
    You mix it 9:1 (9 parts water to 1 part safe-guard) and give 1 cc per large fowl or .5 cc per bantam fowl.

If you think you might have Gape Worm then use this http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies....in_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=786
    It works on Gape Worms.

Are any of these the symptoms that your birds have?

• Rattle in the chest while breathing.

(Sometimes the rattle doesn't show up until the birds are on the roost in the evening, and that is the best time to check for this condition.)
    • Bubbles in the eye.
    • Runny nose.
    • Coughing or sneezing.

Chris

5. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

If they aren't gaping often, I wouldn't worry about it. Chickens yawn, as well as get food stuck in their throats. hope your chickens get better!

6. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Thanks. Would my link work for gape worm? I think it would be easier to use because it mixes with food. The only symptom of the above is that one hen is a little raspy, but it got better since I gave her the Vet Rx. There is the regular, occasional sneeze.

7. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't heard of this wormer, so I can't say, but safe guard would.
    ok, from what I found it should work for gapeworm.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Fenbendazole is Safe Guard.

Chris

9. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    So I can use the crumbles?

10. PoultryGirly