1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can i use wazine 17 on my doves

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by maransfan16, Dec 20, 2012.

1. maransfan16

maransfan16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    just wondering if it is ok to give my dove wazine or if he really needs it in the first place.

2. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    im curious also, as just found a huge roundworm in a dropping of one or two of my new fancy pigeons..

3. Doves1111

Doves1111 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    Connecticut
    If your dove is in an aviary...or allowed to go into a flight pen outdoors and walk around on the ground...then yes...you need to worm your dove.

And...yes...you can worm your doves with "Wazine 17" wormer for the control of Roundworms. Wazine is "Piperazine". Dosage for "Wazine 17" use is 2 tablespoons to a gallon of water for 2 days. Repeat in 10 to 12 days. As a preventative...use 1 1/2 teaspoons to a gallon of water for 1 day each month.

Dawn

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  4. maransfan16

maransfan16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    thank you [​IMG]

5. laughingdog

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    yes thank you!

6. HouseCat

HouseCat Chillin' With My Peeps

McLoughlin Lofts recommends using a Moxidectin wormer such as Quest (marketed for horses) for pigeons and doves.

From their site:
    "Quest is a gel that must be mixed in a blender poured into the water and given to the pigeons for 24 hours. It lasts in the pigeons system for 30 days. Not only does it eliminate all internal intestinal worms, it eliminates gape worms and all external parasites. We treat the race team with Quest seven days before a big race and have only had super results.
    We place 1/2 tube of Quest in one cup of water in the blender. We blend for 30 seconds and then pour this into 4 gallons of water and stir."

If it's good enough for a $100 pigeon, it's good enough for my ferals and chickens.

7. laughingdog

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    thank you for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by