1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can my girls have...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Snowygirl, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Snowygirl

Snowygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Mirkwood
    could i give my chickens sweet potato skin.....uncooked?? i don't want to poison them!!!! help!!
    thanks all who can help!![​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Generally, potato skins have something in them that is not good for chickens. (I don't know exactly what it is.) So, I wouldn't give it to them.....Throw them in the garden though, or the compost, to decompose! Good for the soil. [​IMG]

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    sweet potatos are not technically potatos...they are actually in the morning glory family I believe. however, I hear that morning glories are also toxic for chickens? Sorry, I do not know the answer to this one. Maybe someone who does will pop in soon. I will tell you that I have caught my chickens in my compost pile eatting them though...they have been fine so far.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  4. Snowygirl

Snowygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Mirkwood
    thanks....i decided to just compost them......[​IMG]

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Chickens are scavengers. They can and do eat just about anything. That said, sweet potato sprouts and green white potato skins do contain a compound that is toxic to livestock. Whether or not it would hurt chickens is anybody's guess.
    As long as the peels are not sprouted they are fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by