Can my hen have a good quality of life?

ijcastillo

Chirping
Sep 21, 2021
Hi guys,

I have a couple of hens that were given to me with injuries on their legs. One of the hens seems to be healing well and limps a bit but, my other hen’s foot is curled up like a fist. She walks on it with a limp. I tried extending her toes but they wont extend all the way. Can she live like this or is she walking in pain? Shes been like this since I got her about 3 weeks ago.

Hi guys,

I have a couple of hens that were given to me with injuries on their legs. One of the hens seems to be healing well and limps a bit but, my other hen’s foot is curled up like a fist. She walks on it with a limp. I tried extending her toes but they wont extend all the way. Can she live like this or is she walking in pain? Shes been like this since I got her about 3 weeks ago.

what kind of injuries?

after a dog attak my roo needed about 2 months to recover. vitamin b complex and sesame seeds help with leg issues.

a friend of mine had a hen with just 1 leg. she even got broody and raised chicks.

Can you please post some good clear photos of the hens, their legs and injuries?
How old are they?

I wouldn't mix the scratch grains with the all flock feed. Give the all flock free choice, a small amount of scratch as a treat.
If you are in the US, you can try giving human B-Complex once a day to see if that makes a difference. I would start with 1/4 tablet.

Hard to know if she can live the way she is or not - it depends on how well she can get about, what is causing the problem and if she's able to eat/drink well.
It can take time for injuries to heal.

Wonder how the rooster damaged the legs - did he get them penned up or did they run into something? Any other injuries to the head - the leg issues may be from nerve damage. I've had hens beat up, but they were always beaten about the head/face/neck - do these girls have any head injuries?

Here are the pictures I was able to take from her.

Attachments

• 2621F075-BA68-4B53-8B89-C7A8D7858881.jpeg
    2621F075-BA68-4B53-8B89-C7A8D7858881.jpeg
    646 KB · Views: 5
  • B4900C08-5E20-4307-87C5-BB28187EB29D.jpeg
    B4900C08-5E20-4307-87C5-BB28187EB29D.jpeg
    669.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 59E49EEF-2531-4809-8372-783026E3B160.jpeg
    59E49EEF-2531-4809-8372-783026E3B160.jpeg
    536.6 KB · Views: 5
  • BA94742C-B31B-46C6-B119-FC7ACD208026.jpeg
    BA94742C-B31B-46C6-B119-FC7ACD208026.jpeg
    545.5 KB · Views: 5
Can you please post some good clear photos of the hens, their legs and injuries?
How old are they?

I wouldn't mix the scratch grains with the all flock feed. Give the all flock free choice, a small amount of scratch as a treat.
If you are in the US, you can try giving human B-Complex once a day to see if that makes a difference. I would start with 1/4 tablet.

Hard to know if she can live the way she is or not - it depends on how well she can get about, what is causing the problem and if she's able to eat/drink well.
It can take time for injuries to heal.

Wonder how the rooster damaged the legs - did he get them penned up or did they run into something? Any other injuries to the head - the leg issues may be from nerve damage. I've had hens beat up, but they were always beaten about the head/face/neck - do these girls have any head injuries?
I dont know much about what happened. The man who gave me the hens said he put them in with the rooster to breed them when he attacked them. There arent any injuries to the head, face or neck. I think nerve damage is what she has to her leg. When I try to open up her fist its very stiff and impossible to open all the way. I will post pictures in the morning so you can see.

Oh dear!
If you aren't able to open it, then it may be permanently damaged. Does she seem to be able to get around?
Does she use the "top" of her bad foot to help herself get around? If she does, then you will want to keep watch on that to make sure it's not getting raw/sores. If it is, then you may need to clean well, and wrap the foot to help protect it from her putting pressure on it. No ideal, but I'm not sure what else you can do.
Shes able to get around and I am definitely going to keep an eye out for sores. Ill keep giving her vitamins as well.

what kind of injuries?

after a dog attak my roo needed about 2 months to recover. vitamin b complex and sesame seeds help with leg issues.

a friend of mine had a hen with just 1 leg. she even got broody and raised chicks.
She got attacked by a rooster, both were.
what kind of injuries?

she got attacked by a rooster, they both were. Will the vitamins heal her fisted foot? Like I mentioned before, I tried to extend her foot but it seems like its broken or because they wont stretch to normal.

Back
Top Bottom