CAn perfectly formed chicks hatch with a temp of 95?

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
I have incubating for a few years now. I have become lazy and trust my genesis so that I no longer put a thermomete in and have lost my good thermometer. After not hatching for the past 6 months, I broke out the hovabator... put a thermometer in it read 95. I put another thermometer in.. it also read 95 degrees. (this is with the genesis put to the higest setting).

I figured I'd just see what happened. well out of 42 eggs, 30 eggs I think were fertile, 8 chicks hatched, I had a bit of a humidity issue near the end and three other chicks pipped but got stuck and died.

So my question is, with 8 perfectly formed, healthy chicks hatching (one of my poorest hatch rates, but the eggs were getting old and not properly stored before hand) is it likely that both my thermometers are wrong? Or did these chicks hatch with an incubation temp of 95?

Thanks

I suppose it is POSSIBLE, just not probable. Have you cleaned your bator throughly since taking it out of storage? I always clean mine the best I can before starting up again. Not that mine gets much rest.

Quote:
Thanks! Yes I cleaned it well, I assumed the same as you, I think both of my thermometers must be faulty(strange that they would read the same ) but unlikely I'd have anybody hatch AND right on day 21. I guess I'll just forget the thermometer and trust my genesis again.

Quote:
Thanks! Yes I cleaned it well, I assumed the same as you, I think both of my thermometers must be faulty(strange that they would read the same ) but unlikely I'd have anybody hatch AND right on day 21. I guess I'll just forget the thermometer and trust my genesis again.

Actually, a lot of us here have found that the non-digital thermometer/hygrometer pair they have at Petco for reptiles is so accurate it ain't even funny. The hygrometer calibrated to 76% for me and 75% for another and another yet got 74%. That is unheard of. I would invest the $11 to be sure the bator isn't malfunctioning. Not likely being a hovabator and all but it never hurts to be sure!

Back
Top Bottom