Can scissor beak chickens free range?

RubelliteRose

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
SE Virginia
I'm afraid I know the answer, but I thought I would ask. One of our 2 week old chicks has developed a slight scissor beak and our flock free ranges part of the day. Any one have a scissor beak chicken who successfully free ranges?
I also have another thread with pictures if anyone can help determine if "Rex" is indeed the male we ordered. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mcmurray-ameraucana-ee-gender.1466776/

We started reading about how difficult it is for scissor beak chickens to eat, so weren't sure if they could get enough nutrition with the additional exercise. We do have food available all day in the run too, so I guess we will have to monitor him/her more closely when they start to go out.

We started reading about how difficult it is for scissor beak chickens to eat, so weren't sure if they could get enough nutrition with the additional exercise. We do have food available all day in the run too, so I guess we will have to monitor him/her more closely when they start to go out.
I don't have a scissor beak chicken, but I like to keep 3 rainproof feeders and 3 waterers in the free range area. The free range area is fenced with a movable fence. I also keep a waterer in the coop, as well as a feeder and oyster shell holder. I periodically throw grit and oyster shells in multiple areas in case some of the hens don't use the feeder. I do this with scratch as well.

I think if you give enough food and water stations, you shouldn't have any problems.

Also, I wouldn't use nipple waterers, as it would not be able to access those well. I use the rent a coop waterers and stainless steel steam table pans that are easy to disinfect and easy for them to drink from. Hope your chicken does well! : )

I don't have a scissor beak chicken, but I like to keep 3 rainproof feeders and 3 waterers in the free range area. The free range area is fenced with a movable fence. I also keep a waterer in the coop, as well as a feeder and oyster shell holder. I periodically throw grit and oyster shells in multiple areas in case some of the hens don't use the feeder. I do this with scratch as well.

I think if you give enough food and water stations, you shouldn't have any problems.

Also, I wouldn't use nipple waterers, as it would not be able to access those well. I use the rent a coop waterers and stainless steel steam table pans that are easy to disinfect and easy for them to drink from. Hope your chicken does well! : )
Thanks! We already use rubber pans and stainless steel pans for water with our older girls, but I didn't think about extra food stations outside the run. That's a great idea! Hopefully, Rex is not only a girl, but will also have a mild case. It is barely noticable now.

Thanks! We already use rubber pans and stainless steel pans for water with our older girls, but I didn't think about extra food stations outside the run. That's a great idea! Hopefully, Rex is not only a girl, but will also have a mild case. It is barely noticable now.
You can also offer a vitamin/electrolyte mix in the water periodically for the flock. I offer it sometimes once a week or every two weeks, and I offer it for a few days at a time. It helps those that might be selective eaters, or if there are any weaker birds in the flock, to prevent deficiencies and boost immune system. : )

I have 2 hens in my flocks with crossbeaks, one minor and the other moderate. All chickens range free from dawn to dusk. They also have constant access to layer pellets if they want it. Along with shallow watering pans, you will need to offer food in a shallow container, so your crossbeak can "scoop" the food into her beak. I feed my flocks using long shallow plastic containers, the kind used to store items under the bed. I use shallow kiddie pools for water. due to large flock sizes, but it also accomodates the crossbeaks. Otherwise i make no special accomodations, & the crossbeaks thrive. Both are 4 years old & still laying.

Back
Top Bottom