Can shock kill chickens/chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tomokoth, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Tomokoth

Tomokoth Chirping

Nov 21, 2018
    I woke up this morning to a dreadful sight of my almost 40, two months old lying dead in their coop. Yesterday i shifted them to this coop because their previous one had become too small for them. I know there's a wild cat that has done rounds and scared previous lot of chicks but I didn't see signs of break in.
    Some chicks had bloody wounds but the majority had absolutely no signs of wounds on them. I had switched off the coop light for the night.

HuffleClaw and Melky like this.
  2. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Yes shock can kill chickens and ime it's often not an injury but the shock that kills.

HuffleClaw likes this.
  3. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    If they are all dead and there are some with bloody wounds I would say that you have had a predator attack. Something like a stoat or weasel can get through pretty small holes. Can you post a photo of your set up?

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I agree that some may have died of shock but I am reasonably confident that a predator outside would not cause that or bloody wounds. Something has got in the coop I believe.

Melky and ChickNanny13 like this.
  5. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Forty chickens don’t die all at once due to shock.
    Are the wounds bites or panic wounds?
    Is the bulb teflon coated?

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

So sorry for this awful experience. :hugs

I agree.. probably a weasel/mink type predator... they can get into any whole larger than a quarter.

How were the bodies laying when you found them? Pics of your new coop can help identify problem areas. Also adding your general location can help others make more relevant suggestions without having to ask first... like they may already what type of predators you face.

Most chicks face moving to a new coop... shock would not kill 40 of them the same night.

Hang in there... you must be very disappointed. :hugs:hugs

Melky, ChickNanny13 and rebrascora like this.
  7. Chullicken

Chullicken Songster

Apr 10, 2016
    Dorchester, NH
    Definatly not a shock thing, though it does happen but it wouldn't kill all of them. I'd go through your setup and close up/Hardware Cloth any holes over 1", measure your ventilation, check for disease and look into what kind of light you had used. Just to start.

Melky, ChickNanny13 and rebrascora like this.
  8. Tomokoth

Tomokoth Chirping

Nov 21, 2018

9. Tomokoth

Tomokoth Chirping

Nov 21, 2018
    Since writing, it came again and saw that it was a feral cat ! What perplexes me is that it couldn't have killed all forty ! That's why I wondered if shock can kill chickens. I'm so mad.

Melky and Chullicken like this.
  10. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    So the cat can get into the coop? If so, plenty of other predators can too.
    Yes, some will die of shock if a predator is in there with them on a killing spree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: