Can shock kill chickens/chicks

Tomokoth

Chirping
Nov 21, 2018
I woke up this morning to a dreadful sight of my almost 40, two months old lying dead in their coop. Yesterday i shifted them to this coop because their previous one had become too small for them. I know there's a wild cat that has done rounds and scared previous lot of chicks but I didn't see signs of break in.
Some chicks had bloody wounds but the majority had absolutely no signs of wounds on them. I had switched off the coop light for the night.

I woke up this morning to a dreadful sight of my almost 40, two months old lying dead in their coop. Yesterday i shifted them to this coop because their previous one had become too small for them. I know there's a wild cat that has done rounds and scared previous lot of chicks but I didn't see signs of break in.
Some chicks had bloody wounds but the majority had absolutely no signs of wounds on them. I had switched off the coop light for the night.
Yes shock can kill chickens and ime it's often not an injury but the shock that kills.

Some chicks had bloody wounds but the majority had absolutely no signs of wounds on them.
So sorry for this awful experience. :hugs

I agree.. probably a weasel/mink type predator... they can get into any whole larger than a quarter.

How were the bodies laying when you found them? Pics of your new coop can help identify problem areas. Also adding your general location can help others make more relevant suggestions without having to ask first... like they may already what type of predators you face.

Most chicks face moving to a new coop... shock would not kill 40 of them the same night.

Hang in there... you must be very disappointed. :hugs:hugs

So sorry for this awful experience. :hugs

I agree.. probably a weasel/mink type predator... they can get into any whole larger than a quarter.

How were the bodies laying when you found them? Pics of your new coop can help identify problem areas. Also adding your general location can help others make more relevant suggestions without having to ask first... like they may already what type of predators you face.

Most chicks face moving to a new coop... shock would not kill 40 of them the same night.

Hang in there... you must be very disappointed. :hugs:hugs
Definatly not a shock thing, though it does happen but it wouldn't kill all of them. I'd go through your setup and close up/Hardware Cloth any holes over 1", measure your ventilation, check for disease and look into what kind of light you had used. Just to start.

Since writing, it came again and saw that it was a feral cat ! What perplexes me is that it couldn't have killed all forty ! That's why I wondered if shock can kill chickens. I'm so mad.

Back
Top Bottom