can someone please show me ventilation diagrams!?

Heat and ammonia both rise. The higher ventilation will be the most useful in the winter, since you're in New Jersey. As aart suggested, open up the ends (cover with hardware cloth), and yes, I'd probably lower the roosts. You want one foot between the birds' heads and the openings.

When you think of ventilation, think in terms of square feet (openings), not square inches (holes).
Thanks! I always gulp when someone says the amount of square footage of ventilation needed because our coop is only 7x5 so my whole coop would be open LOL. Not sure what to do about that?

Opening the soffit area on both sides would be very good for your climate.
Then change those holes in the gable to open triangles.
When I open the triangles, do I somehow cover them if there is a storm with heavy rain and wind etc? Believe it or not we get down to the below freezing mark in the winter at times and about the 100 mark in summer. Such a pendulum!

When I open the triangles, do I somehow cover them if there is a storm with heavy rain and wind etc? Believe it or not we get down to the below freezing mark in the winter at times and about the 100 mark in summer. Such a pendulum!
If you shoot for a top hinged cover that should help protect the vents from the climate while still allowing them to remain partially open even in colder weather for airflow. Like so:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...do-members-think.1498249/page-2#post-25025344

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coop-ventilation.1452812/page-2#post-24868607

okay sorry just catching up but so grateful for your thoughtful reply - I will shoot a few pix of the soffets when I go down to the coop in a bit
Okay grabbed a bunch of pix yesterday. The close-ups with the drill holes from the insides show the tiny glint of light that separates that drilled bea from the one below, which my husband says also provides air-flow but you can barely see it. I just don't want to say something that is not accurate to him. the last photo shows (and I guess a lot of them do) the relative height of the perch. If they appear at first to be close to the ground - there are white poopy boards under our roosts that have hemp in them.

Attachments

• zZEIqDpfQOyjHVFrWGCq0w.jpg
    zZEIqDpfQOyjHVFrWGCq0w.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 9kpnIOh6RXyQ4HOqL5WRJQ.jpg
    9kpnIOh6RXyQ4HOqL5WRJQ.jpg
    646.9 KB · Views: 5
  • crgQTXXuS9CXFiwpplmFFw.jpg
    crgQTXXuS9CXFiwpplmFFw.jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 5
  • HRpxmSlTTZSLC7YkruzlfQ.jpg
    HRpxmSlTTZSLC7YkruzlfQ.jpg