can someone please show me ventilation diagrams!?

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
My husband and I are having a debate about how much and where ventilation is best all year round, I once saw a great diagram of draft vs. airflow but I can't find it. The diagrams I can find are either SUPER complex and confusing or too simplified. I tried searching articles but I can't find something that explains it visually. We have big windows but they are just below the roost. We have 1 inch holes along the top just under the roof but the roof extends over them and from what I understand that is NOT enough. We have 6 one inch holes on either end in the gable at the top and a little lever vent above their heads on one side. We want to install a 6 inch exhaust fan to draw air out but I keep reading so many confusing things about air flow. Help! Thanks!

1691936340480.jpeg
1691936375375.jpeg
1691936452067.jpeg
1691936524083.jpeg

Opening the soffit area on both sides would be very good for your climate.
Then change those holes in the gable to open triangles.
Thank you - you are being so helpful - I really appreciate the time and help. Question - when you say open the soffits - my husband drilled 1" holes (you can't see them in the picture) underneath the roof overhang. They go the length of the coop. Is that opened up enough or does he literally need to maybe carve a few inches or more?? at that soffit and put hardware cloth? You can see in our photos that our perches are high up - you don't think the triangles and the soffits are too close to them? Should we have our perches lower? Thanks again and sorry to ask more.

Heat and ammonia both rise. The higher ventilation will be the most useful in the winter, since you're in New Jersey. As aart suggested, open up the ends (cover with hardware cloth), and yes, I'd probably lower the roosts. You want one foot between the birds' heads and the openings.

When you think of ventilation, think in terms of square feet (openings), not square inches (holes).

Thank you - you are being so helpful - I really appreciate the time and help. Question - when you say open the soffits - my husband drilled 1" holes (you can't see them in the picture) underneath the roof overhang. They go the length of the coop. Is that opened up enough or does he literally need to maybe carve a few inches or more?? at that soffit and put hardware cloth? You can see in our photos that our perches are high up - you don't think the triangles and the soffits are too close to them? Should we have our perches lower? Thanks again and sorry to ask more.
Get a pic of the soffits from the outside, up under to show it all.
1" holes are really not much.

You can see mine here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/

....and how I block bowing snow in winter:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ventilation-baffling.75434/

Back
Top Bottom