Can someone share pics of young wyandottes please?

amandadrewry

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 16, 2014
I have a 16 week old slw & blrw. This is my first experience with anything other than a single comb & I can't tell the boys from the girls!! I've seen a couple of the puffing their necks out at each other, which I'm assuming means they are little roo's, but then when I try to look at them I can't see a major difference. I do have a couple that are way smaller than the others, does that mean they are female? Any visual aids would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

It will help if you can post pictures of them, rather than get pictures to compare them to, but a good indicator at that age should be saddle feathers, if they are pointy, then its a male, if they are rounded, then its a female. Both females and males will puff up the neck feathers, so that not a good indicator.

If you look on my rooster(i know its not a wyandotte but all breeds have saddle feathers.) you can see the orange saddle feathers right before the tail, if either of them have anything like this starting, than its a roo,

A females saddle feathers should look like this :

Last edited:
Ok thank you! I will try to get some pics today to put on here, but I have tried before and for some reason have trouble getting them to upload. I ended up with an "a" in that first sentence, but I actually have 4 slw & 6 blrw. I've heard people talk about the difference in the feathers before, but your the first to point out exactly what your talking about, so thank you for that!! Very helpful!

Yes, blue laced red wyandottes, mine are not nearly that pretty though. I would love to get some like the one in the picture! Gorgeous!

4-5 month old pullets

4-5 month old cockerels

Well compared to those pics I'm not sure if I have any roosters. I've tried several times to post pics today but they won't upload. Thank you for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom