Can someone tell me about Runner Ducks?

featherfooted

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Georgia
I'm thinking about getting some runner ducks and would like to know more about them. I have a space that is about 50'X50' that once was a garden that I would like to turn into a duck pen. I plan on putting in a little pond and landscape it for them. It is surrounded with a 4' fence so I need ducks that don't fly. Would Runner Ducks work? Are they friendly? Are they easy to raise?

Personally I love the runners! I have 4 little babies in my brooder right now that just hatched over the last week. They don't eat much, they lay an egg a day, they eat bugs and are excellent foragers, and they don't fly so a 4 ft fence is plenty. I have some in a 50x50 as well and you could comfortable house a lot of runners in there. It does take quite a bit of effort to tame them, but that is the only drawback.
smile.png

Last edited:
I have had these and they semmed to be a bit louder and noisier than alot of the other breeds I had. Much more vocal and they seemed to be more active and if one male got a hen down to mate they would all pile on her. I thought they were going to drown my call ducks when they got out and flew down to the pond with them.

They are great layers - I think one of the best of all the duck breeds for laying. Ours aren't very friendly but we haven't really worked with them that much. If you work with them I'm sure they would be - like Duckyboys said they don't need much fence to keep them in.

Steve in NC

We love our runner ducks. I bought 2 pretty much on a whim and have been very happy with them. They are good layers and don't fly. Our duck hatched a clutch of eggs last summer and my DH liked them so much that our "ducks al'orange" are spending their time swimming in our creek this spring. In other words, they never made it to the processors and never will now. Runner duck have great personalities. You just gotta love 'em.

Back
Top Bottom