1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can u eat duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicken_Addict, May 7, 2007.

1. Chicken_Addict

Chicken_Addict Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Kellyville Oklahoma
    Whats the taste/nutritional difference?

we have 2 small ducks and i just now thought about this.....

does anyone know when and how many eggs they lay? do they make their own nests or what?

thanks in advance guys!!

2. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    I had one female to lay eggs but she would never sit on them. I heard that duck eggs are really good and rich. I never ate them because by the time I would find them they would be rotten.

3. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    My ducks make a nest on the floor of the coop, and lay eggs there. I do eat them, and they are very good. They are especially good for baking. Duck eggs are fluffier than chicken eggs when cooked, but taste just as good if not better.

4. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    We just got our adult Blue Swedish pair-and she laid an egg a day for the first 5 days she was here. Now she's taking a break after moving here. Anyways, we ate the eggs she laid. My husband said it was good-maybe even better than a regular fresh fried chicken egg. This was about an hour after she laid it and she's in a pen so we can find her egg right after being laid.My kids each ate an egg scrambled(1/day) and loved them too. Hope that helps!
    Lisa:)

5. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Great for baking. Not sure if they are good in other forms. They will make your baking goods taste richer than chicken eggs.

6. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    There is a lady in our area that advertises locally to buy duck eggs. Her daughter has a neurological disorder, but I don't remember what it is. Anyway, she can't eat chicken eggs, but can eat duck eggs and they are very good for her.

7. mamahen

mamahen New Egg

Apr 4, 2007
    We have two ducks and a drake. They lay one egg each a day. But they really like to hide their eggs so you have to look under the straw, bedding, etc. Then they will suprise you and lay right on the ground! They keep us guessing! I have read that duck eggs are higher in protein and lower in cholesterol that chicken eggs. They taste a little different to us, but we mix with chicken eggs and yum, yum!

8. Chicken_Addict

Chicken_Addict Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Kellyville Oklahoma
    thanks guys anyone know when they start laying?

9. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    They should start laying between 20-24 weeks.

10. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by