Can water have Botulism in cold weather?

NathanZee

Songster
Jul 1, 2015
Land of Sky Blue Waters
There are some low spots around that are filled with water around half the year, just small 1-2 feet deep ponds. I'd love to take the ducks swimming in these, but I'm afraid that there could be botulism in it. I'm in Minnesota so the temps right now are generally under 35F. Is it safe?

Found some interesting answers on this site about "what kills botulism/" Doesn't seem like there would be a safe way to kill the bacteria in standing water. (Also, I wouldn't take this sites word for it. You would defiantly want to do more research and find information from reputable sources.) http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=1307

"bleach and sodium hydroxide (strong base) will kill the bacteria (but obviously you wouldnt want to pour bleach or sodium hydroxide on your food to decontaminate it)."

"The toxin itself can be killed by boiling for 10 minutes."

"Oxygen - although the thing about botulism that is poisonous is a waste product of the botulism bacterium, so it is still dangerous even after the bacterium is dead. Having something exposed to oxygen,however, will prevent botulism from infecting it in the first place."

Botulism bacteria require very low oxygen conditions to grow, such as a vacuum sealed environment. Water is H2O, and is, by definition, rich in oxygen. Botulism spores are quite literally everywhere, but it's not until those spores are subjected to an anaerobic environment that they become toxic.

Back
Top Bottom