Can You Bomb-Proof Quail?

I found that coturnix quail ate quite friendly about a week or two after hatching. Then they don't like being handled. But, mine aren't raised for pets, so they get raised a bit differently than if someone was really trying to work with them every day/multiple times a day. I had put two adult females in with this last batch I hatched. Compared to the previous batch I did, these ladies seem slightly better being around people than the previous batch of quail.
I can hand feed a couple some mealworms but most of my quail hate me lol.

Best of luck with yours! Depending on your setup you might consider clipping their wings. They can easily fly over a house! :)

I would have to disagree about quail not being docile or tameable! My quail are limp, sleepy boneless chickens as soon as you cuddle them, and rarely struggle or run from me. You can just reach into the cage and pat them like cats. I even nap with mine.

What I CAN say is that you will get out of them what you put in. The more you handle, talk to, and hold them while they are young, the tamer they will be. Fortunately I am stay-at-home, and am able to spend every moment with them while they are young. I hatch in small batches of 12 or so in order to keep up with demands for attention.

If you can simply find a way to give loads of attention while they are little, you will wind up with lap quails. One of ours would even let you hang him upside down by the feet without getting the least bit excited! He would just hang there with his eyes half closed.

Glad you ended up with coturnix!

I can’t get a picture of my hand-raised button quail because they panic if I get near.

But here’s a picture of a couple of my non-solo, non-hand reared coturnix getting in my lap to inspect the camera. (Camera usually means treats.) Some tolerate being held and carried around very well. Not cuddle-bugs — I think they do need to be handled early for that.
6717DD41-92D0-4CAF-B8A3-CBA92FE9E28D.jpeg

But like what was said before, these guys don’t seem to understand that the *feet they stand on can kill them. Especially that tuxedo in the photo will stand peacefully under a descending shoe. :( We have to shuffle walk in the quail pen.
Edit: *human feet

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom