Can you create your own breed out of crossbreeds?

I cannot get an incubator, and I don't mind if it takes longer. I will have a breeding pen set up, but they will only be in it when until I have enough fertile eggs. Then they will be let out until next time.

Are you aware of how many birds you will have to cull to achieve your goal? There will be a huge number (hundreds) of chicks that will not meet your breeding standards when they grow up, that will need to be rehomed including at least 50% mixed breed cockerels that no body will want. Will you be able to butcher them or give them away for other people to butcher? These are the harsh realities of breeding and need to be carefully considered as much as the more romantic aspect of breeding a new line or making a designer chicken.

Go for it. Nothing ventured nothing gained. What a learning experience for you. A long journey with lots of up and downs. I am doing the same thing. Reading and learning doing things I never thought I could do. Tube feedings,giving medicins, Pasty butts,CULLING, but what if I had not tried? Good luck

Are you aware of how many birds you will have to cull to achieve your goal? There will be a huge number (hundreds) of chicks that will not meet your breeding standards when they grow up, that will need to be rehomed including at least 50% mixed breed cockerels that no body will want. Will you be able to butcher them or give them away for other people to butcher? These are the harsh realities of breeding and need to be carefully considered as much as the more romantic aspect of breeding a new line or making a designer chicken.
Agree. It sounds like there are many breeds already developed that fit your criteria and really do need some help expanding their numbers. Why not check a few of them out and see if you can instead improve a breed that already exists and someone else has done the groundbreaking on?

The White Chantecler was able to become a breed in about 10 years because of EXTREMELY stringent selection processes and plenty of birds hatched across multiple breeders. So that's the kind of thing you're looking at. Of course, there are no laws against mixing whatever birds just to see what you get, but making an actual breed is going to take as long and be as hard as described above.

Back
Top Bottom