Can you dust your children with DE?

This entire post just cracked me up! Especially the title. My son had lice THREE times in 2 months and I finally bought a hair clipper and a 50 ft extension cord and dragged his butt into the alley and shaved his little head bald. Turned out the lice was in the sand box!!!!! Someone else who was MORE fed up than me called the health department.

I spent over $400 on the shampoos, combs, sprays, etc., and felt like I had ants crawling on me for an entire two months. Thank GOD that is far behind me.

We had lice here after my knee surgery. Don't know if DD got it from daycare, or I got it from the hospital (I think I posted about it).

Only DD and I had it, but I wanted to shave my hair off - and it's mid back length.

We ended up buying the $15 two comb set with teeny tiny teethed combs, and combed and combed and combed. For weeks. Finally all gone, with no sign of anything.

The funny thing is that *I* use tea tree oil shampoo. Guess it didn't repel my brand of lice!

It's been months now, and I still will "itch", and I'll run and get the comb and run it through my hair. I'll comb DD's for good measure too.

Quote:
lau.gif

Quote:
I can't say much for stinky work boots... but I did use it when our older dog was having issues going outside. She was peeing on the floor right in front of the door. I would clean and clean and clean and I would still smell the pee. Drove me up the wall. I even used Nature's Miracle and that has never let me down... till now.

I got so frustrated that I cleaned the carpet one more time and sprinkled DE all over the area... and put it on thick. Then it hit me... OMG!
hu.gif
hide.gif
What did I just do? My carpet looks like MUD! My hubby just looked at me and shook his head.

I let it sit overnight and by morning it was all dry. No mud... just dirt. Okay... now what... hmmm... where is hubby's shop vac? So... I sucked up the majority of the mess up with the shop vac, then finished sweeping with my good vacuum... and believe it or not... the carpet was completely dry and odor free.

I did it again the next time she peed, only this time in the dining room... I sopped up the pee with paper towels... and put DE on right away. It was like it sucked the moisture out of the carpet... when dry, I drug out the old shop vac and got to work.

I wouldn't recommend it for everyday accidents... but for the first pee of the morning when her bladder was very full (and smelly)... worked like a charm.

There... that is my story of an unorthodox useage for DE.

D

Last edited:
I've used DE in the house to help with fleas and such. I put it in a big shaker container and just sprinkle it over everything. Carpet, furniture, matteresses, pillows and then let the DH vaccuum it up. 2 days later I dusted the whole house to get rid of the light film of DE all over everything. Don't have problems with bugs. I've used it on the cats, dogs and chickens. Just make sure to wear a mask.

Mom used to tell a story of what her mother did to them to get rid of lice. Kerosene! She would cut their hair very short and then douse them with kerosene.

You guys know you can get coconut oil too. I've never used it for lice but that is another option.

I taught kindergaten for 5 years and lice was a yearly epidemic. FREAKED ME OUT every time!!! LOL Head still itches thinking about it. I just bought the shampoo and used it when it came around every time. Stuff is nasty but lice are nastier!

Dave

You know... I'm feeling REALLY smart right now... I've got coconut oil in my cabinet... bought for soapmaking... all this time hearing about using veggie, olive, mustard oil... and hearing about coconut conditioner... yada... and never once did the light bulb flash.

OY

Back
Top Bottom