Can you feed chickens uncooked rice?

Rice can't swell without water and it won't get any bigger than the combined volume of dry rice and water. So if the bird has room in his "Tummy" (I can't feel serious about the opinion of anyone who talks like that concerning health issues; they really sound like they don't have a clue) to add water to the dry rice, then he has room for the rice to absorb the water and expand.

Even if you add a little bunson burner to his "tummy" because rice absorbs water a lot better if the water is boiling. Ask any cook how well raw rice becomes nice and fluffy if you soak it in cold water.

Hello, NO its not okay to feed chickens uncooked rice or other birds.
You risk blocking their crop!
We do feed our flock cooked rice and make sure the rice is very wet.
To much rice weekly and to will see soft egg shells.
we also feed the left over rice from our table from time to time, but we always add water to get it wetter.

:rolleyes: Ok soak rice in water overnight and look how much it swells. Not much at all. It's cooking that swells rice a lot and it won't get cooked in their system. I mean really, it doesn't hurt them.

There is raw rice in MANY pigeon grain mixes & I don't think the pigeons are dropping dead. Chickens can eat uncooked rice! The reason they stopped it at weddings is because they didn't want to clean it up. Bird seed would be more readily cleaned up by town birds.

You risk blocking their crop!
We do feed our flock cooked rice and make sure the rice is very wet.
To much rice weekly and to will see soft egg shells.
we also feed the left over rice from our table from time to time, but we always add water to get it wetter.

Quote: It is perfectly fine to feed chickens and other birds uncooked rice!
Feeding raw Rice is no different than feeding Oats, Wheat or any other Cereal Grain.

Most of all good racing pigeon feeds have Rice in it.

Chris

I 'll let you guys argue about the rice, but I completely agree that it's not OK to feed other birds to chickens
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom