Can you ID the breed of my chickens? And are two roosters? Thanks!

ChicksInTheYard

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2015
I got these from my son's grandma just before July 4th. I believe they were hatched around the same time. I believe they are around 10-13 weeks old (I have to double check with her). I thought she had RIR, but apparently she has a mix now (hers I don't believe are heritage breeds but I could be wrong). They are filling out nicely and they're well-tempered. Some of them look a little light, so I'm confused as to what breed they may be. Any thoughts?? Also, are the two with the bigger combs roosters or maybe just hens with bigger combs???

Thank you so much! I like them no matter what they are!

BantamFan4Life, there are six chicks total (how nice if they are all pullets). Can you explain who is what? Thanks! At least I was right in thinking I don't have RIRs after all! Thanks for the help!

@ 10 weeks any bird with a comb or wattles are cockerels, so I'd say you have at least 2 in there.

The gold birds look like Buff Orpingtons.
The black and gold bird in the 4th pic looksl like a black sex link pullet
The bird in the 1st pic looks like a barnyard mix pullet

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I would suspect the brown one is an EE crossed with BO or something like that. I don't see any bars, so not a Campine, and it isn't black, so not a BSL.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I'm not disappointed about them being BO, that's what I suspected after digging around here lol. And I'm fine with having an EE, they are fun and they lay pretty well. I am definitely concerned about those two being roosters. If I don't keep them it's ok, because there are farms all over the place here that I'm sure would take them in!.

In the fifth photo, I' think' the two buffs with red combs & wattles are cockerels - it's not written in stone though. How old are they in the photos?

I believe they are around 10-13 weeks. I have to ask the woman I got them from for an exact date. The pictures were taken today while I was feeding them.

I also wanted to ask: Do they look pretty healthy? I don't know how big BO/EE should be around that age?

Back
Top Bottom