can you id these "pullets"?

nstaib

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 17, 2012
frederick county, virginia
i got these at a chicken auction this past weekend. the seller had id'ed them as all pullets, but there were 3 cockerels in the box w/them. i have NO idea what age/breed they are, or even if they are indeed all pullets. these are my first set of purchased birds (my last was a foundling meat bird), so i'm not sure if they're mixes, which i suspect, or if they're some particular breed. gloria seems to have very thick legs and very colorful plumage for a pullet, and is much larger than the others, which could just be a difference in hatch date/breed(s). they are about 3- 31/2 mo. old. amelia is smaller and less flashy, has almost no comb/wattles to speak of, but the skin is VERY bright. frieda is the only one w/white legs, and has a few scattered feathers on them. again, no wattles/comb, but very red faced, with orange eyes. last is pearle, in all black. s/he's a very small bird with black skin everywhere i can see, and no visible comb/wattles. with the exception of gloria, they all seem more or less rumpless.
there are a few pictures that show gloria at weird angles just to catch the colors off of the feathers. the comparison shot of gloria (l) and amelia (r) came out in such a weird way that it looks like gloria is bigger than a jersey giant. i'm guessing than none of them weigh more than about 4 lbs.
any help that anyone can give me would be fabulous. i've been trying to find them on the web, and just can't seem to find anything close. i'm not really too concerned with whether or not i have a rooster, we live in a place that doesn't have any kind of ordinances against them. i'm really just hoping that i WILL be getting eggs...

gloria's face

from behind

showing off feet and tail

gloria's side shot for colors

gloria (l) for color amelia (r) for color

gloria (l) for color

amelia (r) for color

amelia up close

amelia

amelia upright, showing off the WHITE toenails

frieda and her "feathered" legs

frieda from the front

up close of frieda's face and orange eyes

pearle in sun to get color

pearls from the side

pearle from behind according to the wire used in the coop, pearle is about 8'' tall...

group shot taken monday for size comparison

thanks, not what i wanted to hear, but i did think so, too. just too...too to be a girl.
sad.png
i guess i'll have chicks...

Having a rooster doesn't mean you have to incubate eggs and have chicks if you don't want. You can choose to have chicks hatch, or not, as you wish. Although, game hens are known for being great mothers and you might need to keep an eye on them to be sure no one hides a nest and goes broody if you don't want!

I'm not a game bird person, but they're a breed of chicken and lay just fine. They're the birds that were often bred for cock fighting and there are multiple colors/strains/types of game birds. They're known for being very scrappy, good at free ranging, great mothers, decent layers, more of what I think of as a primitive chicken than a lot of the production breeds.

thanks! that would explain why they seem so flighty. i was hoping they were just very young and not used to people. i was asked why i didn't get a roo. looks like i did, after all! it's nice to know that they'll be decent layers, but i was so hoping they were a black sex link. i guess i should have stuck with the breeds i can identify. thanks to everyone!

Back
Top Bottom