Can You Put Wooden Cooking Utensils In The Dishwasher?

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
Or will it ruin them? I tried it with one spoon and it got a white coating on it..(that i still cant get off..) .. or was that just a fluke thing?
I also worry about bacteria using wooden utensils... Are they really safe/ sanitary to use? Or can bacteria get in the wood and make you sick??
Any advice... Thanks!

Last edited:
I would think in the dishwasher is better for a wooden utensil than LEAVING IT SOAK IN A PAN OF WATER FOR TWO DAYS.....(like my DW did....
hide.gif
)

I run mine through
hide.gif

I don't think its the best thing for them, and it shortens their life a bit, but I do it anyway.

Wood has natural antibacterials, so I don't worry about bacteria staying hidden deep down inside. Supposedly there are fewer bacteria on wooden cutting boards than plastic.

Thanks guys! I wonder why mine got all nasty after i put it in the dishwasher then?.... weird!
Maybe i'll give it a try again..

Hmm. I've never had that happen with mine. I put mine in the dishwasher, too. I don't care if they don't last quite as long. The convenience is worth it, to me.

Quote:
I'm wondering if my dishwasher dosent rinse good or something... maybe thats why it had the white coating after i washed it...
But my dishes always come out clean... or i think they do..
hmm.png

Oh well... i'll just try it again and see how it comes out...

Anyways the reason that i'm even asking this question is because i just got a new set of pans that i cant use metal utensils with... What a pain in the tush..
tongue.png

The dishwasher will strip the oils off of the wood. I don't ever put my wooden spoons in the dishwasher. I think that is is just too hard on the wood.

Back
Top Bottom