Can you retain a pigeon...

MatthewsHomestead

Free Ranging
Feb 21, 2018
NC Foothills
I recently acquired a mated pair of white homing pigeons and their coop that they have called home since birth/hatch. Thy are about 2 yrs old. How do I go about retraining them to "home in" here so that when I release they dont go back to where I got them from?
20190522_103828.jpg

Congratulations @MatthewsHomestead that is a beautiful pair. My advice is that for the present you keep them captive as stock birds. Let them give you a few rounds of lovely babies, ...:fl you might get 3 rounds this year. The youngbirds will be homeset and get them flying in a group before you think about releasing the parents. Then, understand there are no guarantees, and don't fly a bird you can't afford to lose. But basically, keeping the pair captive while they raise young is your best chance of reorienting them to your location. It looks like a nice roomy loft and they won't suffer for not flying flee. You do your best to make them love your loft with good food, clean water, baths, treats, etc. They aren't robots,... if they get real comfy there then there's a good chance they will stay.
Again, they are gorgeous!:)

I recently acquired a mated pair of white homing pigeons and their coop that they have called home since birth/hatch. Thy are about 2 yrs old. How do I go about retraining them to "home in" here so that when I release they dont go back to where I got them from?View attachment 1786518
It can be very difficult, since they are so old. But you have an advantage since you have their loft. Firstly, you want to have a little wire cage\aviary so they can see their surroundings and get used to the place. You also want to start trap training them. There are several different types of traps. Heres a picture of one below.

If you like them and would be sad if they didn't come back, don't let them out.

NEVER fly a bird you can't bear to lose.

I personally would let them raise up some young, and fly them.
IMG_20190308_105522.jpg

Congratulations @MatthewsHomestead that is a beautiful pair. My advice is that for the present you keep them captive as stock birds. Let them give you a few rounds of lovely babies, ...:fl you might get 3 rounds this year. The youngbirds will be homeset and get them flying in a group before you think about releasing the parents. Then, understand there are no guarantees, and don't fly a bird you can't afford to lose. But basically, keeping the pair captive while they raise young is your best chance of reorienting them to your location. It looks like a nice roomy loft and they won't suffer for not flying flee. You do your best to make them love your loft with good food, clean water, baths, treats, etc. They aren't robots,... if they get real comfy there then there's a good chance they will stay.
Again, they are gorgeous!:)
you beat me! :thumbsup

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom