Can you train chickens to do tricks?

I trained my duck to come when called. Of course, she only comes because she thinks I'll have something yummy for her, but I know she does respond to the word rather than simply seeing a treat because I have tried calling her when I didn't even see her and didn't know where she was, with the treat hidden behind my back. She came running.

You can "train" a chicken to play tic-tac-toe but the bird is not intelligent enough to make the decisions itself. The hen has a tic-tac-toe screen in front of it that lights up to show the hen were to put her X then every time that she makes the correct move she recieves a food reward. You may call this "training" but I do not think it is a trick anymore than a hamster running on a tread mill is a "trick"

Yes, chickens can do tricks. They also have excellent memory. Watch this documentary, there is chicken training as well as other nice things in it. If you enjoy chickens, you will enjoy it.
I also like to remember that chickens are the closest living relative to dinosaurs, and they were smart. I think that people like to put the word "smart" in a box now days, and I like to remember that there are all kinds of different smarts out in the world. Just because some smarts are valued over others, does not make certain animals dumb, or less "intelligent". Intelligence can be measured in a variety of different ways, too. Anyways, enjoy the video.

Back
Top Bottom