Can you treat a duck with Ornacycline or Ornacyn?

Tubbys Lil Farm

Chirping
7 Years
May 21, 2012
N. Idaho
I have a Pekin who is about 7 or 8 weeks old who has been sort of wheezy sounding when he breathes for about 4 weeks. He has plenty of water for washing his nares and he uses it. His area isn't particularly dusty. His 3 little friends don't make that sound. He seems to be healthy and happy otherwise. I'm concerned about a respiratory infection, but can't afford to be carting him to a vet. Plus, I don't know that we have anyone around who will treat ducks.
I bought some Ornacycline and Ornacyn today at the pet store, but I don't know if it's safe for ducks and what the dosage should be. I'm really worried about the little guy and want to do whatever I can for him. I don't want miss something important that I should be paying attention to........
Anyone?
Thanks!

I have a Pekin who is about 7 or 8 weeks old who has been sort of wheezy sounding when he breathes for about 4 weeks. He has plenty of water for washing his nares and he uses it. His area isn't particularly dusty. His 3 little friends don't make that sound. He seems to be healthy and happy otherwise. I'm concerned about a respiratory infection, but can't afford to be carting him to a vet. Plus, I don't know that we have anyone around who will treat ducks.
I bought some Ornacycline and Ornacyn today at the pet store, but I don't know if it's safe for ducks and what the dosage should be. I'm really worried about the little guy and want to do whatever I can for him. I don't want miss something important that I should be paying attention to........
Anyone?
Thanks!
I dont see any reason you cant treat your duck with ornacycline... aka tetracycline...aka duramycin 10. It's used to treat respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma diseases. Here's a link to the dosage you require:
http://www.durvet.com/dl/Durvet-Poultry-Brochure.pdf
I recommend the 400mg dosage, 1/2 tablespoon per gallon of water for 10-14 days. Make it fresh daily

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom