Canadians check in here....

Yes -63 is insane! I would think you might be able to run meat birds in the summer ok, but if you wanted layers they would need to be overwintered in a heated environment for sure. I couldn’t survive those temperatures... no wonder fruit is so pricy up notrh as well. I imagine even shipping fresh things is a challenge in those kind of temperatures.

No ki
Yes -63 is insane! I would think you might be able to run meat birds in the summer ok, but if you wanted layers they would need to be overwintered in a heated environment for sure. I couldn’t survive those temperatures... no wonder fruit is so pricy up notrh as well. I imagine even shipping fresh things is a challenge in those kind of temperatures.
No kidding!! But those are some cold tolerant people for sure lol

-63.99 C wind chill "feels-like" temperature was the coldest recorded (calculated) in Yellowknife. The coldest true temperature on the thermometer was -51.2C, which is still pretty cold. I think chickens would still complain, even if they were out of the wind. Although the climate is changing, we typically get about a week to 10 days of -40 C true temperature a year. From December to March the average temperature is -25 to -30C. On the plus side, we are the sunniest city in Canada and I've got an amazing garden to prove it. For Canadian Cities over 10,000 people, Yellowknife has the record for:

Coldest winter
Coldest spring
Coldest year-round
Most cold days
Most hot and cold days
Longest snow cover season
Most deep snow cover days
Sunniest summer
Sunniest spring
Most heating degree days
Extreme windchill
Most high windchill days (-30 or less)
Driest winter Air

For Canadian Cities over 10,000 people, Yellowknife has the record for:

Coldest winter
Coldest spring
Coldest year-round
Most cold days
Most hot and cold days
Longest snow cover season
Most deep snow cover days
Sunniest summer
Sunniest spring
Most heating degree days
Extreme windchill
Most high windchill days (-30 or less)
Driest winter Air

Even with Sunniest Summer and Spring you’re still not selling me on it! Nope... too cold for my blood. I’m impressed you can garden that far north, brrrrr!

how are you guys in Alberta doing with snow?

we got a bit here in Sask but it all melted. all am going to say is the farmers are having a heck of a time with there crops getting them off (mainly due to the amount of rain places have been getting), its not good at all from what i have been hearing.

Back
Top Bottom