Canadians check in here....

Hi Folks, Another Canadian soon to be keeper.. We live East of Toronto...

Coop is almost built and picking up the supplies we need. Likely a few weeks away from being prepared. I am thinking we will buy ready to lay birds. Any recommendation for sourcing 5 or so birds? Maybe somewhere in the Whitby to Belleville area?
Hi @bedpan Welcome to BYC.

I agree, Kijiji might be your best bet. I listed mine there and they sold almost immediately. Personally, I made sure that they were going to people who had already planned on starting raising chickens prior to the outbreak, so hopefully some other people in your area are doing the same thing.

I hatched a lot late last summer intentionally so that I'd have POL pullets to sell this spring.

Thanks for the info. I am not rushing to order or find the hens. Until we have everything built and ready to go there is no use in rushing things. Although these are our first birds, it been in the plans for a few years. We forged ahead due to current circumstances but it was likely to be this summer or next anyways.

I was kind of hoping to have varied species it seems there are some RSL for sale on kijiji..

Thoughts on buying from kijiji? Are things I should be looking for in the birds before I take them? I would ideally like to inspect the current coop and other animals they are with. With current conditions this might be a no go though as people rightfully should be reducing contact.

Cheers!

Hi @bedpan Welcome to BYC.

I agree, Kijiji might be your best bet. I listed mine there and they sold almost immediately. Personally, I made sure that they were going to people who had already planned on starting raising chickens prior to the outbreak, so hopefully some other people in your area are doing the same thing.

I hatched a lot late last summer intentionally so that I'd have POL pullets to sell this spring.

Hey fellow Canadians! Thanks for linking me to this thread. I have two week old chicks- 5 for meat and 11 for eggs (supposed to be 10 but I ended up with an extra). I got my chicks from Freys and picked up at a local co-op. They are all in perfect health! I have to say though that the meat birds are very very messy! SO MUCH POOP! It’s insane. If I don’t stay on top of it a couple times a day it’s just awful. Anyway, learning curve for sure with chicks but loving every minute! Couldn’t have chosen a better time to have gotten chicks!

Thanks for the info. I am not rushing to order or find the hens. Until we have everything built and ready to go there is no use in rushing things. Although these are our first birds, it been in the plans for a few years. We forged ahead due to current circumstances but it was likely to be this summer or next anyways.

I was kind of hoping to have varied species it seems there are some RSL for sale on kijiji..

Thoughts on buying from kijiji? Are things I should be looking for in the birds before I take them? I would ideally like to inspect the current coop and other animals they are with. With current conditions this might be a no go though as people rightfully should be reducing contact.

Cheers!
Hi, I have bought before several times in Kijiji. Good experience for me. But you are right, this year is going to be different. I used to go to other peoples farms, changed shoes and went right on in to pick my chicks out, looked at pens and other stock chatted for a while. Some breeders will have really good stock if you can find local, a website? Preorder? Gate pick up now. No poultry shows going on either to attend now. But maybe in the fall? When things settle down with Covid 19. I find right now I am over ordering when something comes up as I can always sell too. I have chicks arriving in May and just found point of lay pullets ready for end of May. This way, see how many chicks end up being roos, sell. Keep in a good supply of eggs come fall. :thumbsup :yesss:

Back
Top Bottom