Candling dark eggs - only see air cell?

Scatterknit

Songster
6 Years
Feb 20, 2013
Georgia
Newbie incubating question - I have two eggs that the shells are very dark/thick - I couldn't see anything at day 7 and at day 14 I can only see the air cell at the end. It looks to be a normal size in both eggs (similar to the other eggs in the incubator) but everything else is too dark to make out. Is the formation of the air cell a good sign? Or would that form even if the egg weren't viable?

Thanks in advance!

I had some Marans eggs that were that dark, as well as an Olive Egg. I could see pretty much what you see, a dark area and an air cell. My Marans Egg did hatch, the OE did not but there was a fully formed chick in it. I think the general consensus is that if you can see a dark mass, to leave it in.

I'm new too but I was reading another thread on here and the woman had the same issue. She had dark eggs and couldn't see anything when candling. All her eggs hatched! So I would keep going! :)

If there's no bad smell, you leave it in.
wink.png
lol Usually if you candle into the air cell at an angle and look real close around the edge of the bottom of the air cell you can make out a little veining. This is what I look for with those hard to see into eggs. As long as I see veining I am reassured. Now that doesn't positively mean you will see the veining (I usually do), so I wouldn't give up if you don't see it. But yes, I'd leave it in as long as there is n bad smell coming from any of them.

Thank you guys!! I gingerly sniffed them expecting to be knocked dead by noxious fumes but they smelled like all the others. So yay! So far so good I guess. Can't wait til hatch day!

I had 7 green eggs, I could not see anything. I thought I could maybe kind of make out veining in the area right next to the air cell, but the shells were just too thick/dark to see anything else.

All 7 of them hatched, AND they hatched before the other eggs in my incubator which were easier to candle! I heard them start chirping in their shells the day before they hatched, and once one started it was like a chain reaction. They're all downstairs now, fluffy, cute, and friendly as can be. If you put your hand in there, they'll jump right on and ask to go for a ride.

Hang in there! I know it's nerve wracking not being able to see development. Some people swear the darker eggs with thick non-porous shells actually do better because bacteria has a harder time getting in through those nice hard shells. I have no idea, but it sounds nice and reassuring, doesn't it?

I had 7 green eggs, I could not see anything. I thought I could maybe kind of make out veining in the area right next to the air cell, but the shells were just too thick/dark to see anything else.

All 7 of them hatched, AND they hatched before the other eggs in my incubator which were easier to candle! I heard them start chirping in their shells the day before they hatched, and once one started it was like a chain reaction.  They're all downstairs now, fluffy, cute, and friendly as can be. If you put your hand in there, they'll jump right on and ask to go for a ride.

Hang in there! I know it's nerve wracking not being able to see development. Some people swear the darker eggs with thick non-porous shells actually do better because bacteria has a harder time getting in through those nice hard shells. I have no idea, but it sounds nice and reassuring, doesn't it?

Yes it does!! Hatch day is Saturday so here we go! Thanks for the encouragement!! :)

How did you hatch end up? I stumbled across this while searching "candling dark eggs". I can't see a darn thing! I'm curious about how it went!

I got 4 out of 7 but one had some neck issues and eventually died but the other 3 are thriving. None of the dark eggs hatched though. It was fun! I'm going to try it again next week - I'm addicted! Thanks for asking!
smile.png

It's such an interesting gamble! I have a few eggs I can't really see into, but of the ones I CAN candle, only 5/27 look like anything is going on. Good luck with your next batch!

Back
Top Bottom