Candling during lockdown..

IrisJade

Chirping
Jul 24, 2023
I was too conserned about a certain duck egg and i candled that egg that has shown no sign of rocking for 2 days now or pipping. I candled it and it seemed it was moving inside. does it need help??

How many days of incubation so far? How many days until it is actually supposed to hatch?

If you have other eggs of the same age, have they hatched yet? Or how far have they gotten?

If I am remembering your other thread correctly, I think it is not even to hatch day yet. It probably just needs more time. Leaving it alone is probably the best thing right now.

Here is a big article about assisting eggs to hatch:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
It is quite long, but has a lot of good information.

The point I consider most important: if you help too soon, you KILL the baby inside the egg. Do not be in a rush to help. They really do need a LONG time. Much of that time is spent growing, and absorbing the yolk, and basically doing things that do not show to any person watching but are very important to the duckling inside.

How many days of incubation so far? How many days until it is actually supposed to hatch?

If you have other eggs of the same age, have they hatched yet? Or how far have they gotten?

If I am remembering your other thread correctly, I think it is not even to hatch day yet. It probably just needs more time. Leaving it alone is probably the best thing right now.

Here is a big article about assisting eggs to hatch:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
It is quite long, but has a lot of good information.

The point I consider most important: if you help too soon, you KILL the baby inside the egg. Do not be in a rush to help. They really do need a LONG time. Much of that time is spent growing, and absorbing the yolk, and basically doing things that do not show to any person watching but are very important to the duckling inside.
its day 27 i put them in lockdown early on the day 23, one is doing well and has externally piped yesterday and making noise this one is much bigger then the other one. the difficult one is smaller i had to candle to see if it was moving im still seeing slight veins and a beating? it also pipped thru the airsac. Its also got a white side of to the egg im guessing thats yolk im gonna asume it is?

its day 27 i put them in lockdown early on the day 23, one is doing well and has externally piped yesterday and making noise
If hatch day is typically day 28, then you have one doing things a bit early and one that is not in such a hurry.

Wrong temperature during incubation can make eggs hatch early or late. Given the timing of the first one (pipped on day 26, but still that way on day 27), your incubator temperature was probably pretty close to correct. That's good to know :)

i had to candle to see if it was moving im still seeing slight veins and a beating? it also pipped thru the airsac.
That sounds good. If it is still alive, and it now has an internal pip (into the airsac), then it is doing all the right things. Just let it keep doing them.

Its also a white side of to the egg im guessing thats yolk im gonna asume it is?
I do not know for sure if that is the yolk or now, but that does seem likely. If the duckling still has a lot of yolk to absorb, it will take many hours to absorb that before it moves on to any other steps of hatching.

I think you just need to wait, even though that is very hard to do.

Back
Top Bottom