Canker Treatment, First Time Dealing With It.

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
Hello, I have a 8-9 week old chick who has canker, & would like to know how to treat it?
It's not bad, but would like to treat it before it does get bad. It's a waxy kinda chunky like mass in my chick's mouth. She did get moved outside like a few weeks ago.

At least I think it's canker. I'll get a picture tomorrow of the inside of her mouth.
I read that it's transmitted by wild birds drinking out of the same waterer, but wild birds don't have access to my chickens' waterer.

Open the chicks mouth and smell the inside of its mouth. If there's a foul odor, it's canker.
If there's no odor, it's either wet fowl pox or possibly cancer.
Okay, I'll do that tomorrow, & update you if there is an odor, or not.
I never thought it would have a smell to it.

She's also being treated for Coccidiosis too, & has a few days of treatment left.

There's no odor coming from it.
20200614_143032.jpg

No foul odor, no canker thankfully.
Is that the waxy mass you're talking about in the lower right side of the beak? If so, it looks like caked feed granules. Can you scrape it out somehow? If it bleeds, put iodine on gauze and apply it to the area.

No foul odor, no canker thankfully.
Is that the waxy mass you're talking about in the lower right side of the beak? If so, it looks like caked feed granules. Can you scrape it out somehow? If it bleeds, put iodine on gauze and apply it to the area.
Yes it's the mass on the right side of her beak.

I thought it might be food at first, but it's been there for a few days now, I'll have to see if it will scrape off tomorrow, & I'll update you.

I don't have iodine.

Last edited:
You can use betadine or hydrogen peroxide on gauze.
We have hydrogen peroxide, & Q-Tips. I'm not sure we have anymore gauze.
I'm still building up my chicken first aid kit.

What else would the mass be if it's not food, or Canker?

Back
Top Bottom