can't find ordinances on raising residential chickens

Rosemarie Best

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 20, 2014
Can't find ordinances on residential chickens. No one raises any. I was told by my community that we cannot raise chickens.
I live in Pocono Mountain Lake Estates
Bushkill
Pike County
PA
Please let me know if you have any information

I don’t know if Pocono Mountain Lake Estates is an HMO or some other type of community organization with bylaws or if it is just a name to call an area. If there is any type of community organization with bylaws, they may have rules about chickens. Does the community have bylaws where you are living? When you say the community told you that, I’d guess you do have bylaws but that is only a guess.

Bushkill is unincorporated so they don’t have rules or regulations as far as I know. That means you are under county regulations. What does your county regulations allow?

Sometimes you can be in the county but in a nearby city or towns planning zone. That’s the situation I’m in. I’m in the county and outside of any city limits but there are some city restrictions like lot size and septic rules if I want to build something or subdivide my land to sell lots. But the city regulations as far as chickens do not apply to me in the county.

What I am trying to say is that each jurisdiction has their own rules and regulations. If someone in authority told you that there are rules against it, ask to see the written rules and regulations. If they can’t show you something in writing prohibiting chickens then the rules or regulations probably don’t exist. Or they may have conditions that you can meet.

Someone a half mile from you may have totally different rules and regulations regarding chickens. The only way you can find out what applies to you is to talk to the people that are part of your local government, whether that is HMO, Community Association, or the county. At least you should not have a town or city to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom