Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks I will. I never knew they had so much personallity. Your 3 chicks on your picture is cute
love.gif
My boyfriend is joking that I love the chick more than him now and then I joked back dont worry I'm not into chicks I still like guys
lau.gif

Hi Esti
I am finally registered on the site. The Blue Trio are doing well in their new home, have settled well and seem to have learned quickly who bring them food now. I absolutely love them. Now that I am on the site, I hope to learn lots more. Chat soon Hayley

Hi everyone. I started this thread under my old profile name, but deleted that email address and now I can't get into my original profile! (Boeremeisie/Esti), so I started this profile. I'm glad you joined, Hayley, and very glad the Blues are doing well. Is that them on your profile picture?

Yip it is them. They have just completed a full moult, it took ages. No eggs from them yet, so was wondering if you new how old they were.
In the mean time I have got myself 5 buff orps, ten layers, 2 ex-batts and 2 koekkoeks. How are your Sussex endeavours going?

When I got them at the end of November, I was told they were about 9 months old, so they should be around 14 months old now. They might not be laying due to reduced daylight because of Autumn? Out of all my chickens, only the production hens are still laying. I have had such bad experience with the Sussex until now. Out of 10 hatching eggs I got, only 2 hatched and they both died, the first one within a few days and the second at 2 weeks old. I would've gotten a breeding trio from someone, but that fell through and then a second person was going to come back to me with a price on another trio, but never came back to me. I'm not giving up yet, I want to order show quality Light Sussex hatching eggs from Jo'bug, but I will wait until Spring for that.

In the meantime I have gotten my hands on some gorgeous Barred Plymouth rocks, which along with the Sussex are my other favourites. Hopefully soon I will have my Light Sussex as well. I didn't really want more than one breed as breeders, which is why I sold the Blue Orps in the first place, but since I love Barred Rocks just as much as Light Sussex, I guess I'm building a second coop soon
tongue.png

Thanks for the info "Whoopsie daisy" I thought that may be the reason so just being patient. Should be an exciting spring. My lovely tame Koekkoek should also start laying then, very excited for that she is a real sweetie.
In the mean time I am keeping myself busy with some new feeder and watering designs. Got all the materials for "drain pipe: feeders so will be assembling those this weekend.
Will keep my eyes and ears peeled for Sussex for you. I am on the hunt for Brahamas. My Great grandfather used to show them and Jersey Giants, seeing as Jerseys are almost impossible to get around here Brahamas are the next biggest I am after. They look so grand. Let me know if you ever happen across some.
Have a fab weekend, stay warm.

I actually saw some Brahma's shown at the Worcester show in February, and there is a show there again today. Klein Plasie, Worcester. Probably too short notice... I can't go today because I'm out of petrol
hit.gif

Shows are a good place to see the chickens and meet the breeders. I can also contact the guy I got my Barred Rocks from and see if he knows someone who breeds them. He seems to be breeding quite a few show quality breeds

What a pity I missed that. How do you find out about shows. I always struggle to find info. Do they get advertised and if so where? Please keep us posted would love to go to the next one. I see there is a Western Cape Poultry Club show TBC scheduled for June. If you hear anything please let me know.
Have a great week.

Back
Top Bottom