Caponizing a roo

Pics
I have read a bit of info about this but haven’t done it. In my opinion, if I was going to do it, I would order the instruments that are made for this procedure and then I would practice a couple times on a dead cockerel that you just harvested. It seems like a pretty straight forward procedure. Like mentioned above...I know several veterinarians but none of them have done this...not to say they wouldn’t...but they haven’t. I was going to caponize my cockerels if I had more than one but I ended up with only one out of 24 birds and ironically he’s the tamest out of all of them. If his temperament changes and it becomes an issue, I’ve already missed the ideal window of time to caponize him and will probably harvest him. However, right now it has been ideal having him in the flock.
As also mentioned above, nearly everyone does this at home. If you paid a vet to do it, and you were canonizing for the sake of better meat...it would be some pretty expensive chicken meat. My chicks from the hatchery were around $3 each. I couldn’t imagine a vet would charge less than $50-100...maybe more.

Going to just put this out there. I see nothing wrong with caponizing a male if the end goal is to eat them. My reasoning behind this is that this way, if something does happen, it's to am animal that was destined to be eaten in the first place, and not a beloved pet.

Animals have different thought processes than humans. I forget I where I heard it, but I heard that other than humans, rats and dolphins were the only other animals that were constantly aware of their own thinking. It's not that other animals do t think or feel things, it's just that they aren't aware they're thinking if that makes sense.

Castrating a bird is different than a mammal. Almost all mammals have a specific part that's easy to access to castrate and a lot of livestock that are castrated are still eaten. It's a way to help prevent aggression and stop the flow of testosterone that make meat taste gamey.

I fully believe animals feel like humans do. Might not be fact, but that's what I believe. I have birds that seriously seem to love each other and it breaks my heart because I know I'm not keeping the male, especially with that female.

I'm not looking to argue, this is just my feeling on the issue being talked about here.

Going to just put this out there. I see nothing wrong with caponizing a male if the end goal is to eat them. My reasoning behind this is that this way, if something does happen, it's to am animal that was destined to be eaten in the first place, and not a beloved pet.

Animals have different thought processes than humans. I forget I where I heard it, but I heard that other than humans, rats and dolphins were the only other animals that were constantly aware of their own thinking. It's not that other animals do t think or feel things, it's just that they aren't aware they're thinking if that makes sense.

Castrating a bird is different than a mammal. Almost all mammals have a specific part that's easy to access to castrate and a lot of livestock that are castrated are still eaten. It's a way to help prevent aggression and stop the flow of testosterone that make meat taste gamey.

I fully believe animals feel like humans do. Might not be fact, but that's what I believe. I have birds that seriously seem to love each other and it breaks my heart because I know I'm not keeping the male, especially with that female.

I'm not looking to argue, this is just my feeling on the issue being talked about here.
I hear ya, and I think you were referring to ‘self awareness.’ The research has recently added bird species to the list of animals possessing self awareness....most notably crows. But there is so much that we have no clue about, yet we presume ourselves to know so much about everything. Before Jane Goodall spent literally years living in the forest with chimpanzee groups, the accepted ‘facts’ about chimps included them being vegetarian and shy....when in fact they are a violent, meat eating species exactly like us. When I say I would like to perhaps save a rooster from being culled...and give him a home as a pet, I realize that will not be the reality for more than a handful of roosters, but I would still like to do it for one or two if I can. But I would definitely pay a vet to do it. 😋

I can do it for you but you will have to send it to Ohio, my fee is you pay shipping to and from my fee is $ 250.00 per bird . Wouldn't it be easier to go buy a pre cleaned chicken ? Just joking :he

And I think it's noble of people to wish to save roosters. I order st. Run for that reason so even if I can't keep the males, I know they had a quality life.

It was an actual term, but yes, essentially self awareness. And it was a good few years ago, so I may be out of date.

Also I will have to respectfully disagree with some people that animals don't care about their junk. We took a dog to get fixed and when he woke up, he was very concerned about his missing bits. We had to put a come on him because he wouldn't leave the area alone.

I can do it for you but you will have to send it to Ohio, my fee is you pay shipping to and from my fee is $ 250.00 per bird . Wouldn't it be easier to go buy a pre cleaned chicken ? Just joking :he
OH is well within driving distance for me. Are you a veterinarian? The money (fee) isnt an issue.

Before diving right in- even if the person is totally trust worthy and I’m sure @chickenfinder is, I would ask about experience just to be safe. Like I said I’m sure they’re trust worthy but you can never be to sure :)
I totally agree! But I am simply asking for the future; I only have a hen and currently am not in a position to get another bird. I just dont want to have to check credentials and location at the last minute. But it has to be a vet. I think one of the fellows I have spoken to (in a post) is a vet and has successfully already done this...he is in Missouri.

OH is well within driving distance for me. Are you a veterinarian? The money (fee) isnt an issue.
No I am not a vet . I have caponized in the past but I don't like to do 1 bird. I do 10 at a time because you have to set up for it . The birds are stressed after they get the operation and have to be secluded . If you search on BYC I think I saw a fellow that did some roosters quit a long time ago . It is a simple process that I am sure you can do if you can watch his post .

No I am not a vet . I have caponized in the past but I don't like to do 1 bird. I do 10 at a time because you have to set up for it . The birds are stressed after they get the operation and have to be secluded . If you search on BYC I think I saw a fellow that did some roosters quit a long time ago . It is a simple process that I am sure you can do if you can watch his post .
If you do it yourself make sure you hold back the food and water before attempting the surgery .

Back
Top Bottom