Car shopping...help!!!

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
OK turning again to one of my favorite resources, Byc!. Currently I have an 03 Chrysler Town and Country. It has been my best vehicle ever. It has 104,000 & miles on it, I've had it since new and I have NEVER put any money into it for repairs, except routine maintenance, of course. I love this vehicle!!!! The main reasons I am looking for another are two: gas mileage, of course, though mine gets 17/22...and I usually drive a lot in the course of my job, so am beginning to worry about going on long road trips with my current vehicle, because it is high mileage. I am torn between a few options, so any input is welcome!

1) A slightly used 08 Chrysler t&C; I love the stow & go feature, but the redesign I am not real crazy on, especially the weird placement of the gear shift, and it has mixed reviews now. And handles a bit different, though not much. I really wanted to stay with Chrysler but am also looking at a change by maybe getting a:

2) slightly used 08 Chevrolet Impala. Excellent reviews from what I've read, especially gas mileage. I test drove one and really liked it; not sure about the roominess for passengers.

3) slightly used 08 Sebring, supposed to compare with Impala. Not as good reviews i've noticed, though mileage is a bit better.

So has anyone had experience with these? I don't care about luxury features except for CD feature, and A/C, trip calculator I like too and stow and go in the van. I very much trust the salesman I have bought my last two vehicles from and he can probably get me whatever I choose. I want to stay in the mid 20's and lower range, pricewise. Also, my daughter wants me to keep the van for her instead of using it as a trade, am half tempted to do this but worried about major repairs and increased cost of insurance with four vehicles on the string. Thoughts? Thanx
big_smile.png

Oh, also, this is probably important; we have five people in our household, usually we don't travel together but there are times. We have two teens and a young adult still livng at home; my DH doesn't go out much as he is disabled but when he does a comfortable car is a plus.

Well, me personally, I have a Dodge Caravan, and am in the same boat!! I don't think if your 03 T&C isn't cutting it, then getting the 08 T&C would be any better. The Impala sounds good. From what I've seen they hold their value well, and are relatively inexpensive to maintain. The Sebring is kinda touchy. More of a "designer" car, I think. I am looking into a Dodge Caliber. I like them a lot, good gas mileage, but I haven't test drove one. Good luck with your choice.

Thanks I might check the Caliber out, also. It would be nice to have a crystal ball to see what's going to happen in the near future with the fuel thing. Another thing about the 08 Impala, is that is uses Ethanol. Cheaper and better environmentally, but not sure how easy that will be to find, we're pretty rural.

IDK, maybe in Orlando, but I never go that far. I hate putting more than $30 in at a time, that will usually get me one week of local (DeLand only) driving. I hate the gas prices!!!!!!!!!

We now got a newused 02 Dodge Caravan after we got rid of our rust bucket, 95 Voyager but she had more room and a work horse. We had to make some adjustments with our reeanctment gears and take what we need and take out anything we dont use or need.

The Caravan had better gas mileage than our old Voyager. I would not go to any other brand, I would stick with Dodge or Chrysler, they didnt break down or major repairs...my uncle owns and work his garage in a very busy business said that the Dodge, Chryler and Ford are holding on their own except Ford Taurus which they are having transmission problems since 03.

Sebrights, I heard alot of problems with them, more like for sporty look but piss poor in repairs. Impalas are steady cars and work horses too.

That's good to know. Before my Chrysler I had a Dodge Grand Caravan and loved it too; I don't recall any problems with it except the transmission complained a bit when we drove it all day during a scalding hot summer on a trip through the mountains. It scared me but when it cooled off it was fine. The dealer told me at that time though that Dodge had some problems with transmissions; I think it scared me and that 's why we unloaded the Dodge before it had as many miles as the Chrysler.

I'd check consumer reports. I swear by them- have had a several used vehicles over the years- S-10 pick up, Chevy Malibu, Dodge Dakota, Saturn SL2, and now a Toyota Echo- The trouble listed in consumer reports matched what I've experienced with my vehicles be it hardware, transmission, brakes, etc. My Dodge Dakota is by far the worst vehicle I've ever, ever owned. It's like monkeys put together Dodge transmissions and front end parts. Never, ever again. These have been used vehicles, but usually with less than 30,000 miles on em and run to 170,000 to over 200,000. new Saturns get 30mpg instead of the 35 I got with my old 99 SL2. Smart decision on thier part, huh. Good luck, Keystonepaul

Back
Top Bottom