Carbon Monoxide and Stored Feed

Akston

In the Brooder
Nov 25, 2018
Hello, long time lurker, first time poster. Wasn't sure 100% where to ask this.

Due to a situation, I have had a large amount of feed (opened and unopened bags/containers), along with some of my chicken equipment exposed to lethal amounts of carbon monoxide. While I will be doing some standard cleaning and such of the cages, etc, I am trying to figure out if the feed just needs to be all thrown away. I could not find any information on the effects of carbon monoxide on stored feed, or if there even are any.

While obviously I will throw it away if I need to, just didn't want to unnecessarily.

If you are concerned the feed may be contaminated, the safest thing is to toss it.

However, CO (carbon monoxide) is a colorless, odorless gas. When oxygen breathers are exposed to dangerous levels of CO and they breathe it, the CO displaces the O2 in the blood, starving bodily tissues of oxygen.

Some meat processors use CO gas injected into the package of meat as it's sealed to prevent oxidation of the meat so it won't turn grey and appear to be older than it is. This is harmless in itself, but the artificial process of making raw meat pink for an extended period can cause folks to think the meat is fresher than it is, leading to the possibility of spoiled meat making people sick.

I would worry about how old the feed is in that situation..... and make sure it stayed dried etc, the usual stuff.

If you ever want to get rid of bad feed use it in a worm compost, then when its done composting dump it on the ground near the chickens and let them eat the worms. great way to turn bad feed into natural feed.

Back
Top Bottom