Caring for sick hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MuscovyMad, Mar 1, 2012.

1. MuscovyMad

MuscovyMad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I noticed a few days ago that one of my young pullets was limping slightly. She is 5 months old. Howevere this morning she i slimping alot worse and is just sitting about.

I can't feel any heat or sweilling in her leg

Does anyobdy have any advice on what i can do with her / what it mgiht be?

Should i just keep her in a big box so she doesn't move around much and keep her warm and fed?

2. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    I had one do that once. I think she might have twisted her leg walking down the ladder from the hen house. I put more and moved the steps closer together. I would think she would be fine.

3. MuscovyMad

Dec 2, 2010
    I took her to the vet and it turns out she has completely fractured her femur (leg) [​IMG]. So she is on a months cage rest and hopefully it will heal well. She is looking a bit better in the past few days. So hopefully with enough time she will make a full recovery. [​IMG]

4. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Sorry about your hen. Just curious if the vet wrapped her leg or immobilized it in any way. Hope she's better soon.

5. MuscovyMad

Dec 2, 2010
    No it's just been left alone. It is quite high up on her leg so i think it will be too difficult to bandage.

She is still young. So i'm hoping the growth in the leg will help it heal. She's not looking much better. but i know it takes a long time for bone to heal so i'll give her a chance.

I think if the break was lower in her leg it would be best to bandage or splint it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by