Caring for sick hen?

MuscovyMad

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 2, 2010
I noticed a few days ago that one of my young pullets was limping slightly. She is 5 months old. Howevere this morning she i slimping alot worse and is just sitting about.

I can't feel any heat or sweilling in her leg

Does anyobdy have any advice on what i can do with her / what it mgiht be?

Should i just keep her in a big box so she doesn't move around much and keep her warm and fed?

I had one do that once. I think she might have twisted her leg walking down the ladder from the hen house. I put more and moved the steps closer together. I would think she would be fine.

I took her to the vet and it turns out she has completely fractured her femur (leg)
hit.gif
. So she is on a months cage rest and hopefully it will heal well. She is looking a bit better in the past few days. So hopefully with enough time she will make a full recovery.
fl.gif

No it's just been left alone. It is quite high up on her leg so i think it will be too difficult to bandage.

She is still young. So i'm hoping the growth in the leg will help it heal. She's not looking much better. but i know it takes a long time for bone to heal so i'll give her a chance.

I think if the break was lower in her leg it would be best to bandage or splint it.

Back
Top Bottom