Carolina Chickenstock Spring 2013

Man, it was raining hard when I got there. Still there were a lot of smiling faces. The hubby had his eye on those polish chicks but the rain had us moving fast. Always really nice to see happy chicken folks!

For those that may have not attended or didn't get a chance to purchase a t-shirt here is what is still available. Will ship and gladly accept paypal. $10 Each or 2 for $18
Chickenstock t-shirt Inventory
Small – 2 cream, 1 heather orange, 1 chocolate
Medium – 2 cream, 2 chocolate, 1 heather orange, 1 carolina blue, 1 hunter green, 1 olive green
Large – 1 heather gray, 1 heather orange, 1 cream, 1 chocolate
... XL – 1 cream, 1 olive green
3XL – 1 olive green, 1 chocolate $12 Each
Long Sleeve – 2 XL heather gray $18 each or 2 for $30
Ladies Tanks – Pink – 1small, 1 large, 1 XL Gray – 1 small $15 Each

Here is the style, colors vary on what's above by size

I had a blast even if it did rain. I brought home two Buff Orpingtons, three EEs and a bantam Welsummer. I got home around 4:00 and spent about 3 hours chasing my Welsummer. lol! She made her escape while I was trying to unload the car. Needless to say....I'm pooped.

A big thank you to our hosts! I can only imagine how much work is involved organizing and planning these events.
bow.gif
I really appreciate it.

We were really impressed with the turn-out. It was our first time attending and we sold everything we needed to sell. We enjoyed looking at all the different varieties of birds! Brought home a beautiful little Tolbunt Polish pullet from Marci at Cardinal Ridge Farm. She had the most beautiful, healthy looking birds!!! It just made my day to be able to have one of her gorgeous babies :)

We met several of the BYC folks and it was good to put a face with a name! All their feathered friends looked great and were well provided for - even in the rain.

We were kind of shocked to see one group of people leaving with soaking wet chickens in rusted wire cages with absolutely no covering whatsoever on a flat deck trailer! Not sure if that is even legal?? It shouldn't be
hit.gif
It was very upsetting to see someone so callous to the comfort and care of their animals. It also bothered me to see the young chicks at some of the tables/ground soaking wet and shivering with no covering at all and no sign of sellers trying to cover them or load them up to leave...??? And there were even baby bunnies getting soaking wet with no cover or shelter and no attempt to even try to cover them either. I do know that baby bunnies DO NOT need to be wet nor do they like it. It just really made us really sad and disappointed.

Overall, the majority of folks seemed to really care about their poultry and had tents and covers (and some even heat) for their babies. It really was too bad about the rain. There were so many folks there until the rain started to pour down. Hopefully, the weather will be better in the Fall and folks will take a moment to watch or listen to the weather so they can arrive prepared to protect their animals from whatever mother nature has in store.

The caramel apple bourbon butter was worth going for, too! My husband is already wanting more and we bought 2 jars! LOL! Guess we will have to wait til Fall....

Kudos to the folks who put this event together!!! I'm sure it was a lot of hard work but it really was worth attending.

Definitely worth standing out in the rain. I sold all but two of my big birds, but I didn't sell any chicks. Oh well, I came home with three leftover chicks , plus two Silkies, 5 EEs, 2 mallard ducklings, and a GORGEOUS Sebbie gosling :) my brooder room is full! No more! Lol well maybe there's room for a few more...

I wanted to say a special thank you to all of the people that organized Chicken Stock! This was my first year and the only thing I can say is that I had a really great time getting to meet so many wonderful people! I did not get to meet everyone because of the weather and I hope that I get a chance to meet more of you next time.
My husband and I had a blast on the drive down. There is nothing like driving through the McDonald's drive thru, and ordering breakfast while roosters are crowing from the back of the Suburban. We definitely got a few stares and giggles!

We set up beside of Marsha and Larry Tutterow and Suzanne Suman, and we enjoyed visiting them and seeing their beautiful poultry. I would just love to take all of those cute Silkie chicks home from Marsha's. Suzanne's Jubilee's and Gold Laced Orpingtons are drool worthy indeed! I was able to keep all of my birds fairly dry and warm with a canvas I had in the truck. Thank goodness! I think Natalie and Nicoli, enjoyed the outing and getting to see all of the people stopping to visit. I was happy to see quite a few folks that I have met over the years and have become friends through our common interests.

Natalie and Nicoli wanted to say thanks! Visit us at Hens and Friends!
BunnyMomma!

I agree about those polish chicks
thumbsup.gif
. Very pretty and very healthy looking. I have never had a polish hen but I was tempted to get at least one or two of those beauties. Wish they were just a little bit older.

I have seen some pretty chickens today, some with very pretty colors on bantams, but I have also seen a lot of pale combs and white speckles on the comb. It has been a while since I bought anything on a show, but I think in the past years I have seen better colors on the combs (or maybe I just didn't noticed that before as much as I do now).

Kevin, it was very nice to see you again. I did not recognized you with the beard only when I heard the accent I knew who you were.
frow.gif

Dixiebeast, I love your chickens. The rooster is quite the character. It's so funny to watch him been so eager to please and protect his hen.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
What I want to know is how in the world I was able to get rid of a roo but brought home another???
lau.gif

Actually I had arranged to purchase the handsome Beamer man and was thrilled to be able to send another one of my awesome Mottled roos to go home with some fantastic friends.

Some birds were out in the rain and it was sad to see but I came home to see all mine standing out in the rain but the Great Pyrenees lying in the chicken coop. Such a bum!
th.gif

I did see plenty of birds being kept dry under the canopy's though and am sure we were all caught unaware of the heavy down pour. It was fun, I am sure, to watch me and my dear friends scrambling to put up my tarp since the beach umbrella was not big enough to keep my birds dry. Fortunately, Patsy let me strap my tarp to her big canopy. Unfortunately, the ducklings were not satisfied with the rain and kept jumping in their water jug for an invigorating bath! Patsy said she got a photo of that!
gig.gif

This was my 5th time there and each time makes a wonderful memory. Can't wait to do it again!
And I never did get to see the peafowl for sale. Not that I need anymore! But I enjoyed looking at everyone's birds!

I want to add my thank you to all who put this one together. Dispite the rain, I had a great time. Loved meeting so many new people. Made alot of new friends. Bought a couple new girls to replace a few my granddaughters dog killed. These girls will have to remain put up. Don't want any more tempation for the dog. I agree with all the others. Some birds were beautiful and well taken care of. Some not so well. I was expecting the rain. We had looked at the forcast before we left home. So we were prepared. Can't wait for the next one. My sister ask me as we were leaving, when and where is the next one. She said Fall is to far off. I agree. But if not before, hope to see everyone there and lots of sunshine for the next one.

Back
Top Bottom