Cat Kibble for Protein - what about dog food?

newbyduckmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Snohomish County, WA
I have seen several people recommend cat kibble for an additional source of protein when molting. We have Purina One dog food (small bites). Would this likely work? It is Vibrant Maturity, so guess I should check the bag to see protein content etc? But was curious as to everyone's opinons.

This particular brand is actually about the size of cat food...we have small, spoiled dachshunds who don't like big dog food
lol.png

Cat food is 30% protien & that is why people use it. Dog food, is generally 20-21%.
You can also get a gamebird feed which can go as high as 28%.
There is a layer concentrate that is 38% for supplementing scratch grain.

We did use it as a base for different wildlife when I worked as a rehabber and I have used it for wild waterfowl, but I read somewhere that taurine, which cats need and is in almost any commercial cat food these days, is also beneficial to ducks. Having used both, I personally prefer the cat food. It does seem to make less mess when wet. I would think that given it often has fish meal as part of its ingredients that it would be the more similar to what ducks would get in a wild diet, since they do eat small fish.

Back
Top Bottom